Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Suakin

05 April 2010 | Sudan, Africa
Dave n Judy
Late yesterday afternoon we anchored for the night in between some reefs. There was only a small sand islet about 100 feet long to call land. We raced to get the dinghy ashore there before the tide came all the way up. It sounded like a rookery with all the screeching birds. Quite a bit of plastic bottle litter & even some large syringes????? Then we hustled back to Freebird to give her another salt water rinse as she is just covered with running mud. Being Easter Sunday we invited SunDance (our only neighbor) over for quesadilla's. Festive, right???Even though the reefs were fully submerged they gave us protection from the waves. The wind came in from the north about 20 knots. The moon was late coming up. Our anchor was set in 40 feet of water. We laid out 250 feet of chain and felt secure enough.

We pulled anchor at 0630 and headed out into 20 knots of wind..... Beating. We fought our way through the menagerie of reefs to open water. The waves built and Freebird began to hop from wave top to wave top. Not fun. By 2:00 PM we were anchored in the inner harbor of the city of Suakin, Sudan. We picked up our agent to check us in. (Mohammed again) He was a personable chap and arranged for our check in and to have fuel delivered tomorrow morning. So far, no internet! There were only 2 other yachts in the harbor. One is the yacht "Integerit;y" They have been here for 4 weeks. Their engine blew up and they have been waiting for their friends Dave and Betty on the yacht "Sundance" to come to their rescue. David is a mechanic and has also agreed to help them with towing if necessary... to Egypt.... No small feat.. It's hard enough just getting your own boat up this merciless Red Sea. Tomorrow we are going to take another look at their engine to see if there is any hope. Judy is headed off to the market with the girls for some veggie shopping....
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.