Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

The Nile Part 2

12 May 2010 | Abu Simbel, Egypt
Dave n Judy

Tomorrow we catch a flight back to Freebird. We will have been away for 9 days. We spent 4 days touring the many temples and historical sites along the Nile aboard our little cruise ship. We also partied a little with new acquaintances and our friends from "Silver Furn"




It's still HOT. We both agree that this is the hottest place we have ever been. Our last night in Ashlen was in a 5 star hotel that was almost empty. We did a little exploring and spent several hours in the fantastic Nubian museum.

After lunch on a tilting barge turned into resturaunt we flagged down a Faluka sailboat for a ride.


The four of us "sailors" had a ball with the two crew talking "sailing" and we raced all the other boats around Elephantine island. (we won of course) It was fun to watch these sailors work their boat on the river playing the currents and fickel winds. They were true masters of the river and their craft.


We are now sitting in a small "hotel" in the village of Abu Simble. We were picked up by a van and joined a "convoy" for the three hour journey from Ashlon. The government requires a armed guarded convoy for tourist to travel this route. There hasn't been any terrorist attacks in the last few years but the tourist industry can't afford any dead visitors. The three vehicle parade consisted of a big tour bus, our van with the four of us and a armed vehicle bringing up the rear. We also had an armed guard on board complete with fully automatic weapon. After showing us how his gun worked he promptly crawled in the back and fell asleep. After 3 hours of counting electrical towers we pulled into our new home for the next two nights. The small boutique hotel is built in the same way as the Nubian people have been building their homes for the last five thousand years. The buildings are a collection of arches and domes completely made from mud brick similar to adobe in the Southwestern United States.


We were welcomed by Fikry Kachif, the owner. He built the place himself over a period of 8 years. He is also a well known "ood" (Nubian guitar) player. It's a pleasure to sit in the cool breezy interior listening to the soothing exotic sounds of the local Nubian music. Last night we dined by candlelight under the stars of the Egyptian dessert......the soft warm air permeated with the smells of delicious food. An early rise at 0500 had us walking toward the temple of Abu Simbel where we enjoyed watching the first rays of sun strike the faces of the monolithic Pharos. Words can't describe this specter. I don't think photos can tell the story either......

Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.