Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Alexandria

11 June 2010 | Alexandria, Egypt
Dave and Judy

Brother Bruce is still hanging with us and with our bags tied on the roof of Mohamed's taxi we head off for Alexandria. The hotels are all booked but Mohamed has found us a "flat". Three hours later we arrive. The "flat" isn't really what we had in mind. So we head for the Metropole Hotel to get rid of some money. This beautiful old hotel is in the center of town on the Corniche overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. We have that much desired sea view from our balcony to watch the goings on 3 stories below. Wow! Hot water and a bath tub too! We're in heaven.


It's very hard, almost impossible, to find a restaurant that serves beer in Egypt. Therefore, we opted for the Chinese place on the roof of the other grand old hotel in town.
The evening was perfect. A light breeze coming off the Med. The sun setting ... you get the idea. The food wasn't too bad either. We roamed the streets that evening stopping for a cappuccino in a famous old coffee house. The streets were alive. Things start to happen about nine PM in Egypt. We enjoyed watching the people of this old city do their thing.

We awoke refreshed after a night between clean sheets and a comfortable bed. Trusty Mohamed arrived on time for breakfast with us and off we went to Fort Qaitbey. Built in 1480 by Sultan Qaitbey it sits on the remains of the legendary Pharaohs Lighthouse which had been in service for 17 centuries before it was destroyed by an earthquake. Imagine a light house in service for 1700 years......mind boggling.

CLICK here



After a couple of hours of playing hide and seek we moved on to the Alexandra Museum which is Housed in a beautifully restored Italian Villa. This is one of the best collections of Egyptian antiquities we have seen.


After a few hours we'd worked up an appetite. We finished the day with a seafood lunch overlooking the Med. Yum! The evening was spent again, wandering the old streets watching people and drinking coffee.
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.