Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Road trip, Day Four

09 July 2010 | Dead Sea
Dave and Judy

We're headed South through the desert. The Dead Sea and Masada fortress is our destination. The Sea comes into view and it certainty looks "DEAD" We park and decide to take a dip. The Dead Sea is 8.6 times higher in salt content than the ocean. We see people floating high in the water. Dave decides to do his usual entry with a dive head first. Wooooha! Not a good idea. Back on the beach flushing his burning eyes with fresh water. He decides he doesn't like the Dead Sea. It'll kill ya! His throat is burning any cuts or open wounds are stinging. We came all the way here for this? A good flush down under the fresh water shower and things were better. Judy decided to slap some mud on her face.... She seemed to actually enjoy it.... hmm. We can now say that we "swam" in the dead sea. CHECK!... Probably won't be back here real soon.



Back on the road we head down the west side of the "Sea". We arrive at our digs for the night. A super deluxe hostel. Not bad, AC, private rooms with baths. It's hot outside and we keep to the air conditioned building for dinner. There is nothing around for miles anyway. This is the departure point for climbing the trail UP to Masada.



We wake up at 4:30 AM. The four of us stumble around in the dark and finally find the trail up to the ancient fortress. Neville and Mark zoom ahead while Judy and Dave trudge along at a more civilized paced. Up we go. We climb for an hour and a half. Finally we arrive at the summit just before the sun creeps up over the Jordanian desert. The light of a new day is upon us. The mercury starts to climb. A couple of hours are spent walking through the ruins was all the heat we could take. It was time to head down the hill. There is gondola that is the easy (smart) way of coming and going. The problem is it doesn't start running until 0800. We would have missed the all important sunrise. Plus look at all the exercise we got. We're ready to head down to a cool shower. It's only 07:30. We decide we need even more exercise so, down we go. About half way Dave's knees decide to act up. As we're stumbling along we look up. There goes the gondola. hmmmm. We did make it back mostly in one piece. After breakfast and a nice cool shower we were ready to hit the road.


Two and a half hours drive and we are back aboard Freebird. It feels so good to be home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
About:
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.