Freebirdie's Sailin' Blog

22 November 2011 | Seattle
01 August 2011 | Santa Maria di Leuca
03 July 2011 | Greece
15 June 2011 | Gulf of Corinth
05 June 2011 | Athens
28 May 2011 | Poros Greece
25 April 2011 | Symi Island
13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece
20 February 2011 | Istanbul, Turkey
30 January 2011 | Ephesus
28 January 2011 | Marmaris
16 January 2011 | Selcuk, Turkey
31 December 2010 | Marmaris
24 October 2010 | Cappadocia, Turkey
16 September 2010 | Marmaris Turkey
26 August 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
19 August 2010 | Marmaris
03 August 2010 | Larnaca Cyprus
01 August 2010 | Mediterranean Sea
30 July 2010 | Ashkelon Marina

Leaving Turkey

13 April 2011 | Naxos, Greece

Hoscakal Turkiye... Good Bye Turkey....

After 8 months in Turkey, maybe our longest stay in one place to date.... It took almost 2 weeks out in the Maramaris Bay after leaving the marina to finally pull up the anchor and depart for Greece.

For us, Turkey was much larger than we realized. There was soooo many places to go and ancient sights/sites to see. Being out on the Datca Peninsula slowed us down some as it took almost 2 hours to get to the main highway to get started. We managed to see most of the highlights though and enjoyed meeting the Turks and being a part of their country for a short time.

Our last big adventure there was highlighted by "my" (judy's) two "adult children" who came for a short visit. Considering they live in different states with jobs, families and animals, it was quite a feat for them to arrange their time off, together. Stefaney flew from Seattle to Chicago where she met Christopher then they flew together to Istanbul. One more flight to Dalyman and a shuttle van the last hour and a half to the marina in Marmaris.

What a thrill to see them together in such a faraway place!
We only had a few days and the weather didn't exactly cooperate so we switched gears from sailing to land touring. Letting them sleep in the first morning we headed out to our favorite restaurant, La Fortuna for wraps for lunch. Then we went into the town of Marmaris and climbed up the hill to the castle. Of course we had to go to the bazaar before returning back to Freebird.

The next morning we drove to the ancient site of the hillside tombs and chartered a river boat up the Dalyran river (where they filmed the African Queen Movie). We had a tasty lunch before leaving for Fethiye.

Fethiye is our favorite stop along the Turkish Mediterranean. We stayed there early last season and would have liked to have been there for the winter, but no there are haul out faculties for Freebird. We walked through the market and had homemade soup on that cold, wet night before returning back to Freebird.

It really was great to share our "home" where we've been this past season with our family. Dave managed to take us for a day sail on the first sunny day before they left. It was their first sailing experience. We dinghied into town and while Stefaney and I hit the market for souvenirs Chris went to the Turkish Bath.

Before you knew it, sadly, it was time for them to leave. They had scheduled 2 days in Istanbul before leaving and I was meant to fly with them. Unfortunately I came down with a severe ear infection so ended up taking the overnight bus instead. I met them at the pension the next day.

Dave was busy getting the last minute departure procedures for Freebird squared away. (We had been together to Istanbul in February to go to the boat show so that made it a little easier for him to stay behind ~ and WORK!!)

I was able to schedule an appointment at the Italian Embassy that morning before they arrived to get our Visa's for Italy organized. What a big load off of our minds!

Instead of taking the bus back to Marmaris, I flew back on my reservation and really screwed my ear up for the next 4 weeks. Not only was that a painful mistake but hampering in every way.

Dave managed to break one of his teeth while I was trying to recuperate and then the inverter completely stopped working, so all 3 of us needed repair before we could leave Turkey.
Now we are holed up at the Greek Island of Naxos. We've been here for the past 3 days waiting out nasty big cold north winds. Summer's coming soon we hope.
More on the Greek Islands to follow.

More Photos
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Grainger MC420 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Dave and Judy Howell
Dave started building Freebird in 1995 in a plastic shed on Camano Island, NW USA and launched her in April of 2001. He retired from the Fire Department in 1999 after 28 years of service. Judy Retired from dentistry in 1995 after 27 years. [...]
Freebird's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.