Big Frisky

Kurt and Pamela are sold up and are sailing aboard SV Big Frisky, an Outbound 46 with the Kona Boys, Honu, Kona and Chico. Join us while we learn what it is to be Blue Water cruisers and see the world. Follow us on Instagram @big_frisky

15 December 2018 | Abacos Bahamas
10 August 2018 | St Peters, Nova Scotia
17 July 2018 | Hadley Harbor, MA
12 July 2018 | Cuttyhunk
29 November 2017 | Downtown Providence
11 November 2016 | Morehead City North Carolina
15 October 2016 | Annapolis Landing Marina
30 September 2016 | Two-Mile Landing Marina, Cape May NJ
03 August 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
01 July 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
30 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor, South Carolina
29 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
28 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
19 May 2016 | Cape Canaveral
13 May 2016 | Bahia Mar Marina, Fort Lauderdale FL USA
12 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 140 miles South of Fort Lauderdale
11 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 60 miles from Old Bahama Channel
10 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 50 miles north of Haiti
08 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 45 miles north of DR
06 May 2016 | Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI

How to Fall in Love with Canada? Visit Quebec

18 September 2015 | Rimouski QC
Pamela Cool/Clear
Arriving by either boat or car to Quebec City means passing miles of majestic farm fields of wheat, corn and beans, planted on hillsides and tended by well-kept farmsteads. The St. Lawrence River also provides temperate weather for vineyards, orchards and flower gardens. Geographically, Quebec City is due north of the state of Maine and the Appalachian Trail continues across the US border into Quebec.

Quebec is the oldest city in North America, has the oldest Catholic Church and the oldest road. The definitive battle between the English and the French was fought here on the Plains of Abraham, establishing English rule well before the US colonists fought for independence. Many of the battements, buildings, streets and even restaurants date back to the 1600s.

One of the first things we did when arriving in Quebec City was a visit to the Citadel, home of Royal 22 Regiment. This is an active military base featuring an elaborate "changing of the guard." I toured the regimental museum and discovered that the "Warriors of Quebec" have supported the US and its allies since WWI including modern day Afghanistan. The changing of the guard was spectacular with a marching band, soldiers with bearskin hats and a live goat as a mascot. We left the parade grounds thinking that these French Canadian soldiers are serious bad asses and we are lucky they are on our side.

Beyond the walls of Citadel lay the Old City, recognizable by its iconic landmark, Chateau Frontenac, the most photographed hotel in the world. Charming store fronts perch on steep cobbled streets tantalizing passersby with maple goodies and French fashions. Lovely little restaurants and bistros line both sides of the streets which go off in any direction but straight. Horse drawn carriages carry tourists up to the top of the boardwalk where you can look out over the St. Lawrence River. Strolling around town we were constantly surprised when peering around the corner into an alley where you would have expected to see a dumpster but instead find hidden flower gardens, tinkling fountains, intriguing sculptures or embracing lovers.

Although Quebec boasts a fine range of diverse cuisines, our favorite restaurant was Aux Anciens Canadien, which serves authentic French Canadian food. My entrée included bison, elk and red deer and Kurt had the lamb shank. The restaurant was made up of little rooms and our table was right under the eaves upstairs, room enough for only 3 or 4 tables. With such an intimate ambiance, we struck up a conversation with our dinning companions. This is where we learned the names of all of the provinces and territories of Canada and the differences between them. Thank you Keith and Patty for recommending it.

We left our boat in Marina Du Port Quebec for three weeks while we travelled to Cleveland for my son's surgery and back. We left a hot summer town filled with tourists wearing sandals. We returned to a town where the leaves are starting to change and people are wearing sweatshirts and jeans. Our larders are filled to the brim with food and all kinds of supplies and we have all the charts we need for the next leg of our trip. It is time for us to move on.

The last thing to do before we leave is to return the rental car, the one that had gotten us back and forth to Cleveland, some of it twice. She was a good little car. The way it works is you go to the rental place and one of their representatives drives the car back to your place and lets you out. On this day we were in luck! A most lovely young woman expertly drove us through town, telling us a little about herself and answering our questions. Her grandmother was an American from Boston and our driver has made at least 1 trip to the US every year of her life. She served in the French-Canadian army, signing on right after 9-11 and did two tours of duty in Afghanistan, both occasions deployed with US army soldiers who she described as "so much fun!" When we arrived back at the marina we did not want to get out of the car, we were so engrossed in our driver's account of Quebec history. We simply could not understand how one whole section of the country could speak a separate language, have a separate flag, separate cultures and still be a part of the rest of a country. Our driver explained that in spite of the French defeat and subsequent English takeover, the new English governor told the people of Quebec that although they would have to abide by English law, they would not need to change their language, religion or customs. This was a good idea as there were about 25 Frenchmen to 1 Brit at the time. Our driver said that from time to time there is a dust up of secessionists wanting to form their own country of Quebec, but she said she never thought it would happen.

As we said our goodbyes, we thought about how much we had come to understand and appreciate Canada and its people while we were in Quebec City. Whether you love history, religion, food, shopping, men or women in uniform, sailing adventures, or more. Quebec is a place that will ignite your passions.
Comments
Vessel Name: Big Frisky
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 46
Hailing Port: Carmel Indiana
Crew: Kurt and Pamela
About: Kurt and Pamela have been together for sixteen years and recently married. Kona, Honu and Chico are avid sailing companions and are committed to keeping all ducks off docks wherever they may go. Kurt is a retired editor for a publishing company and Pamela is a retired college librarian.
Extra: After travelling through the Great Lakes and out the St. Lawrence Seaway, Big Frisky and her crew are ready to start the next leg of their adventure, a passage to Tortola, British Virgin Islands.
Home Page: tinyurl.com/big-frisky
Social:
Big Frisky's Photos - Main
Wintering over in Providence
7 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2016
6 day passage from Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI to Ft Lauderdale Florida
5 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
The four days of Kurt and Pamela's Birthdays April 18-April 22.
10 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 8 January 2016
5 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
1 Photo
Created 7 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
No Photos
Created 15 October 2015
6 Photos
Created 5 October 2015
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
Sights around QC
11 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
Cliff's hospitalization at Cleveland Clinic
5 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
What we are reading
2 Photos
Created 21 July 2015
Pictures of the people we meet along the way
4 Photos
Created 14 July 2015
We love entertaining guests aboard Big Frisky!
9 Photos
Created 30 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2015
Photos of the destinations we have been
25 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2015
Photos our our new ride
9 Photos
Created 28 January 2015