Big Frisky

Kurt and Pamela are sold up and are sailing aboard SV Big Frisky, an Outbound 46 with the Kona Boys, Honu, Kona and Chico. Join us while we learn what it is to be Blue Water cruisers and see the world. Follow us on Instagram @big_frisky

15 December 2018 | Abacos Bahamas
10 August 2018 | St Peters, Nova Scotia
17 July 2018 | Hadley Harbor, MA
12 July 2018 | Cuttyhunk
29 November 2017 | Downtown Providence
11 November 2016 | Morehead City North Carolina
15 October 2016 | Annapolis Landing Marina
30 September 2016 | Two-Mile Landing Marina, Cape May NJ
03 August 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
01 July 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
30 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor, South Carolina
29 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
28 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
19 May 2016 | Cape Canaveral
13 May 2016 | Bahia Mar Marina, Fort Lauderdale FL USA
12 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 140 miles South of Fort Lauderdale
11 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 60 miles from Old Bahama Channel
10 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 50 miles north of Haiti
08 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 45 miles north of DR
06 May 2016 | Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI

Wind Weather and Wildlife

26 September 2015 | Tatamagouche Bay
Pamela/cold clear, West winds 3-4 kts
The last few travelling out the St. Lawrence River crossing over to the Gaspe' Peninsula we have encountered a wide variety of weather, wind and wildlife.
When we left Quebec City a high fog shrouded the old city above us, but looking east we had good visibility.
We passed the famous Montmorency waterfall which is 30 meters taller than Niagara Falls. We imagined what it would be like driving on the highway above the falls back and forth to work every day.

As we travelled further east, a thick fog settled over us. We could see the bow of the boat, but little past that. We turned on our fog horn so other vessels would know we were there. From time to time we would hear other fog horns indicating a nearby vessel that we could not see in the fog, but radar indicated they were passing far to our starboard. Then as quickly as it appeared, the fog dissipated and we could see for miles around. The weather was now much colder and would travel in and out of the fog all day.

When we arrived in Cap L'Aigle (Cap a leg) we were in a heavy fog and used the VHF to radio for assistance in docking. Just before we arrived, the fog lifted revealing an opening in the craggy cliffs soaring above us and the tiny marina inside. The weather outside was warm if a little windy, but inside the boat cabin, the freezing cold water around us made it very chilly. We employed our portable heater which is a champ in heating the boat and producing a remarkable amount of condensation inside. Baking a casserole and enjoying a nice bottle of wine made the atmosphere inside Big Frisky nice and cozy.

Leaving Cap L'Aigle was exciting. The waves were high with the tide and were swelling into the marina. We met the waves head on, some of them crashing over our bow as we charged out into the river. As we got settled into the waves and currents, the winds proved to be good for sailing to Tadoussac. We spent most of the day encompassed in a fog but the Prince Shoal Lighthouse well marked the entrance to the Saguenay River. We decided against sailing up the river for some whale watching as it was cold, rainy and foggy and we were pretty cold and foggy ourselves.

The weather cleared after our dinner of homemade pizza, and we took the dogs for a walk around the rocky outcropping overlooking the Saguenay River. We saw no whales there either/

The morning dawned beautiful and sunny and by now we were used to cold floors on Big Frisky. We got up early to take a little cruise up the Saguenay. Keeping a sharp eye out for whales, we saw a pod of beluga whales, their white heads easily seen coming to the surface on the placid water. We did a slow turn as requirements inside the marine park protect the endangered belugas from boats coming too close. Coming down the river we were slowing to allow the crossing of the car ferry, when Kurt pointed out a Minke whale surfacing a few times before diving deep behind us
.
No sooner than we were out of the river, we spotted a raft of sea lions, or rather they spotted us, because they followed us, surfacing and checking us out. While we were watching the sea lions at play, we were hailed on the VHF radio by the captain of The World, the largest privately owned yacht on the planet. We looked up saw we were heading straight for each other. The captain radioed to suggest we pass starboard to starboard thus giving us an excellent view of this famous vessel. Aboard the world are 168 permanent residents who collectively decide their year's itinerary in a perpetual circumnavigation with a goal of visiting the most spectacular sights in the world. Well, on this day, they got to see Big Frisky up close.

We crossed the St. Lawrence to Rimouski then on to Matane. The Canadian weather service had been predicting gale force winds in this region and we were happy to get safely into Matane and tied up to the dock before they began. We could hear the wind howling overnight in what were the biggest winds we have encountered so far. The morning brought no relief from the winds which were so high we had to carry the dogs across the docks and up the hill to the park for fear they would blow off into the water. The floating docks were rolling beneath our feet with every step. A good day to settle in to projects that kept us in one place most of the day. After a quick taxi ride to the fish market and grocery store, I settle in to baking and food prep that I normally don't have time to indulge in, even baking a couple dozen white chocolate macadamia nut cookies to serve at our dinner party that night.

We left Matane for an overnight passage to Saint Anne Des Monts but made with the tide, currents and wind we made much better time than expected. At the 1am watch change we made the decision to modify our destination to L'anse a Beaufil 35 NM further on the south side of the Gaspe Peninsula. The passage was uneventful with the exception of the Katabatic Winds we experienced. We would be sailing along and all of the sudden it got very cold and the winds changed direction to blow from the shore. Sometimes it would kick up waves that would wash against the boat. Unnerving at first, when we recognized what it was, we were fine. As the sun rose I could see the spectacular light house at Forillion Parc. Rounding the point we came sailed between Perce (pierced) Rock and Ile Boneventure, natural habitat for the gannet bird. The majestic birds soar high above the water then dive straight down with their long narrow beaks to snag the fish they love. They also take advantage of bait changes in the lobster pots, sometimes grabbing the live bait right out of the hands of the fishermen.

We arrived at 9 am, plenty of time to explore the fishing harbor which includes the Pit Caribou microbrewery. The harbor master, who is a lobster fisherman, drove us to a wonderful seafood dinner and regaled us with many facts about the lobsters here. They are about 1-1.5 lbs and are delicious to eat. This area at one time was famous for cod with two processing plants and a general store in town. But the cod were overfished and the processing plants shut down. Enterprising fishermen turned to the "homard" the lobster. To protect the valuable lobster industry, fishing season is between mid-April and mid-July. Most fishermen have at least one other job, like our server at the restaurant and the workers at the microbrewery. The cod fishing plant is now a lovely art gallery and restaurant with beautiful gardens and views. The general store is now a museum restored to its 1928 state with fascinating artifacts and interpreters with excellent English.

Our next destination is Summerside, Prince Edward Island, a Canadian Province. This is our last day in Quebec and as we leave we feel so blessed to have seen and experienced such an amazing adventure and spend time with the fiercely independent but friendly people who make this special place their home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Big Frisky
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 46
Hailing Port: Carmel Indiana
Crew: Kurt and Pamela
About: Kurt and Pamela have been together for sixteen years and recently married. Kona, Honu and Chico are avid sailing companions and are committed to keeping all ducks off docks wherever they may go. Kurt is a retired editor for a publishing company and Pamela is a retired college librarian.
Extra: After travelling through the Great Lakes and out the St. Lawrence Seaway, Big Frisky and her crew are ready to start the next leg of their adventure, a passage to Tortola, British Virgin Islands.
Home Page: tinyurl.com/big-frisky
Social:
Big Frisky's Photos - Main
Wintering over in Providence
7 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2016
6 day passage from Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI to Ft Lauderdale Florida
5 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
The four days of Kurt and Pamela's Birthdays April 18-April 22.
10 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 8 January 2016
5 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
1 Photo
Created 7 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
No Photos
Created 15 October 2015
6 Photos
Created 5 October 2015
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
Sights around QC
11 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
Cliff's hospitalization at Cleveland Clinic
5 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
What we are reading
2 Photos
Created 21 July 2015
Pictures of the people we meet along the way
4 Photos
Created 14 July 2015
We love entertaining guests aboard Big Frisky!
9 Photos
Created 30 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2015
Photos of the destinations we have been
25 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2015
Photos our our new ride
9 Photos
Created 28 January 2015