Big Frisky

Kurt and Pamela are sold up and are sailing aboard SV Big Frisky, an Outbound 46 with the Kona Boys, Honu, Kona and Chico. Join us while we learn what it is to be Blue Water cruisers and see the world. Follow us on Instagram @big_frisky

15 December 2018 | Abacos Bahamas
10 August 2018 | St Peters, Nova Scotia
17 July 2018 | Hadley Harbor, MA
12 July 2018 | Cuttyhunk
29 November 2017 | Downtown Providence
11 November 2016 | Morehead City North Carolina
15 October 2016 | Annapolis Landing Marina
30 September 2016 | Two-Mile Landing Marina, Cape May NJ
03 August 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
01 July 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
30 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor, South Carolina
29 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
28 May 2016 | Charleston Harbor Marina
19 May 2016 | Cape Canaveral
13 May 2016 | Bahia Mar Marina, Fort Lauderdale FL USA
12 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 140 miles South of Fort Lauderdale
11 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 60 miles from Old Bahama Channel
10 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 50 miles north of Haiti
08 May 2016 | Atlantic Ocean 45 miles north of DR
06 May 2016 | Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI

To Have or Not to Have: A Stand Up Paddle Board

10 January 2016 | Leinster Bay, St. John, USVI
Pamela/Light winds, warm
Since trying a stand up paddle board (SUP) the first time with my friends Darlene and Karen at Racoon Lake, I loved it and was determined to bring one aboard Big Frisky when we arrived in the Caribbean.

Unfortunately, the crew is divided on this issue. They do take up some room on the side deck and are cumbersome to deploy and re-stow aboard, risking damage to the boat or the SUP in the process. There is also the potential for being in the way when hoisting the sails. Finally, attaching the SUP to the stantions and lifelines can cause the loss of all three in high winds/seas.

The question is whether the rewards of the SUP outweigh these drawbacks. We have approached the dilemma scientifically. We rented an SUP for a week while we explore St. John in the United States Virgin Islands . I would bear solo responsibility for its loading unloading and securing it safely to the boat, out of the way of the sails and limiting pressure on lifelines and stantions.

I pictured using the SUP to get little exercise, paddle around looking at the fishes and going to the beach by myself, but as we enter one beautiful bay after another abounding with sea turtles and crystal clear waters, the many, many benefits of the SUP reveal themselves with startling regularity

Over 70% of St. John is National Park. There are no marinas, no dinghy docks and no anchoring in any of the bays we have visited. We take a mooring ball and use the dingy to go ashore, jumping off in the surf and dragging the dinghy ashore with a much dignity as possible while the dogs leap out on the beach as soon as they can. The biggest problem is knowing what the landing conditions are like and what is ashore before we get there.

I use the SUP to paddle up to the shore, check out the dinghy landing conditions and discover what, if any amenities are ashore. A walking trail for the dogs is a huge find, closely followed by a Parks garbage collection site and any kind of a restroom is bonus.

At Hawksnest Bay with its beautiful palm fringed beaches, trails, garbage collecting and more. we had to make the decision to leave or stay based on the condition of the swell at the beach. Only one way to find out. Stand up Paddle Board. I paddled ashore and beached the SUP. I was chilling on the beach watching huge breakers coming in, when I saw a dinghy loaded with beach gear and a few passengers approach the landing. One of the passengers was a little girl about eight. I watched in horror as their dinghy pitched endo tossing all the occupants, snorkel fins, picnic basket, life vests, pool toys, etc. into the surf. The little girl emerged first with a pair of beach chairs under her arms, trotted onto beach, set them up and returned for the picnic basket. I sat back down. We would not be using this beach for tonight's dog walk/dinghy landing.

To pay for your National Park mooring ball, you must dinghy over the small floating collection dock, covered with expose nails primed to puncture a fragile rubber dinghy, Unless of course you have an SUP, then you just paddle over, drop your money in the slot and more than likely striking up a conversation with other sailing ladies out in the bay and trading information about where you've been and where you are going.

This was a lesson learned the hard way when we planned to pay for our mooring and dinghy over for a dog walk at the same time. In our focus on getting the dog in their life vests, securing leashes in my dry bag and packing "pick up" bags, we forgot our mooring ball payment. After an inconclusive conversion about who should go back in for the envelope, I attempted to gain the swim platform right as the boat slipped away and I plunged headfirst into the gap for a compete swim. Fortunately when I surfaced, there was the SUP, an easy grab, get on and re-boarding of the dingy by the time the captain emerged with the mooring ball payment. "SEE" I snarled, dripping salt water from my hair, "Stand Up Paddle Board!"

And of course there is the all-around entertainment of taking the dogs for a spin around the bay.

Just this morning I was awakened by the captain up in the cockpit, "Look at that!!!! Would you LOOK at it! Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes I came up to see what the fuss was about. And there, right on the next mooring ball, was a guy meticulously cleaning his boat, aboard his standup paddle board. The captain said, with a begrudging smile, "maybe we can find a use for the SUP."

Feel free to weigh in on whether you think we should add a stand up paddle board to Big Frisky. We value your opinion.
Comments
Vessel Name: Big Frisky
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 46
Hailing Port: Carmel Indiana
Crew: Kurt and Pamela
About: Kurt and Pamela have been together for sixteen years and recently married. Kona, Honu and Chico are avid sailing companions and are committed to keeping all ducks off docks wherever they may go. Kurt is a retired editor for a publishing company and Pamela is a retired college librarian.
Extra: After travelling through the Great Lakes and out the St. Lawrence Seaway, Big Frisky and her crew are ready to start the next leg of their adventure, a passage to Tortola, British Virgin Islands.
Home Page: tinyurl.com/big-frisky
Social:
Big Frisky's Photos - Main
Wintering over in Providence
7 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2016
6 day passage from Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI to Ft Lauderdale Florida
5 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
The four days of Kurt and Pamela's Birthdays April 18-April 22.
10 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 8 January 2016
5 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
1 Photo
Created 7 November 2015
4 Photos
Created 20 October 2015
No Photos
Created 15 October 2015
6 Photos
Created 5 October 2015
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
Sights around QC
11 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
Cliff's hospitalization at Cleveland Clinic
5 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
What we are reading
2 Photos
Created 21 July 2015
Pictures of the people we meet along the way
4 Photos
Created 14 July 2015
We love entertaining guests aboard Big Frisky!
9 Photos
Created 30 June 2015
16 Photos
Created 26 June 2015
Photos of the destinations we have been
25 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2015
Photos our our new ride
9 Photos
Created 28 January 2015