Our return trip to the United States from the British Virgin Islands was marked by gorgeous sailing weather, day and night, with a sprinkling of thunderstorms to keep it interesting. I took this photo at dawn at the end of my stormy rain-soaked 4am to 7am watch. Mornings are the best time on Big Frisky passages, when I wake up the Captain to tell him I got the sun up for him and it's time for his watch.
Next, the dogs come up to the cockpit
after keeping us company all night during our off watches. It never ceases to amaze us how adaptable they are. As long as they are with us. they are happy.
Comfort stations again were very effective for passage making poochie potties.
Our six day trip gave us plenty of time to think about our winter in the Virgin Islands and all the things we would miss.
1. Easygoing West Indian attitude and love for fun.
2. Being met and greeting EVERYONE with "good morning" or "good afternoon."
3. Snorkeling off the back of the boat
4. BBQ ribs out the food truck
5. Mooring balls
6. Friendly island dogs (and chickens, goats and donkeys)
7. Anegada Lobster
8. Sunday morning gospel singalong in line at the grocery store.
9. White sand beaches and turquoise water
10. Making life-long friends
We also thought a lot about the many things we were looking forward to when we got back to the states:
1. Fountain diet coke! They do not serve fountain drinks in the islands.
2. Knowing where to find stuff the grocery store.
3. Easy and inexpensive access to boat maintenance and repair goods
4. Driving on the right side of the road.
5. And specific to Indianapolis: an Arni's Junior Salad.
Most of all we look forward to seeing old and new friends and family in the US, visiting up and down the east coast with road trips to Indiana and Colorado. I feel like we have accomplished another goal, having been to the Caribbean and back. Can't wait to see what the next big adventure has in store for us.