Our Next 30 Years

24 October 2023
01 October 2023
30 September 2023
29 September 2023
21 September 2023
18 September 2023
04 September 2023
29 August 2023
30 December 2020
02 April 2019 | Chula Vista Marina, San Diego, California
02 March 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
16 January 2019 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane River, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
11 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia
09 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia
04 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia

Noumea, Grande Terre, New Caledonia

04 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia
Making our way into Noumea was unlike any experience we have had since leaving the US. As we entered the inner harbour I was amazed at the sheer number of recreational boats - in marinas, on moorings and at anchor. With all the local boats, it is no wonder that it is next to impossible for visiting boats to find a place to anchor within the prescribed boundaries. It was also great to see the youth dinghy racing activity, complete with on the water coaching, etc.

We were lucky to be able to quickly address our Genset cooling system issue that brought us to Noumea a bit earlier than we had planned. With the problem fixed, we were able to enjoy the big city and take in the sights. We would have loved to have headed back out into the Southern Lagoon, but the weather was not cooperating. With recommendations from some locals, we visited the Aquarium, which was very well done, and the Maritime Museum. After several attempts we also finally found a time when the cultural museum was open and enjoyed learning more about the history of New Caledonia. There is a large Market open daily, but to be honest, we felt like we enjoyed the local Markets in other locations far more than the more commercial feeling one here. We did enjoy wandering through the downtown area and seeing sights like the Cathedral. We found it easy to get around the town whether by foot or bus. And yes we had some great French meals as well!

Unfortunately our stay in New Caledonia was cut short by a week or so, when we received notification from our weather router that a window was available to leave for Australia. After some discussion we decided to take the guidance and leave, rather than wait and hope for more good weather in a week or two.
Comments
Vessel Name: Songlines
Vessel Make/Model: 60' power catamaran designed by Malcolm Tennant
Hailing Port: Austin, Texas
Crew: David and Cindy Balfour
Social:
Songlines's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

MV Songlines

Who: David and Cindy Balfour
Port: Austin, Texas