Our Next 30 Years

24 October 2023
01 October 2023
30 September 2023
29 September 2023
21 September 2023
18 September 2023
04 September 2023
29 August 2023
30 December 2020
02 April 2019 | Chula Vista Marina, San Diego, California
02 March 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
16 January 2019 | Rivergate Marina, Brisbane River, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
11 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia
09 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia
04 November 2018 | Bundaberg Port Marina, Bundaberg, Australia

Back in the USA

28 February 2019 | San Diego, Ca
David Balfour
Once on the docks at Cruiseport Marina in Ensenada, we began the process of getting SV FullCircle ready for the short (70nm) coastal hop up the coast to San Diego. In addition to putting sails back up, setting up all the sailing rigging, etc. We also wanted to take a day or so to make sure that all the systems were working properly before taking off. After bleeding the raw water system to get rid of an airlock, everything checked out good and we were ready to go. Unfortunately the weather was not cooperating, with Northerly winds to 20-25kts and 2-3m swell. We made the decision to wait a day as things died off and then left in the evening with lighter winds forecast overnight. This allowed us one last visit to 240 Grill for their great fish and octopus tacos! We had a pleasant trip, motoring or motor-sailing with a semi-clear sky, making for pleasant star gazing on watch, and enough of a moon to allow us to see any fishing boats along the way.

We arrived at Shelter Island as the sun was coming up and pulled alongside the Customs Dock at the Harbor Patrol dock. Customs had changed their procedures from the information that I had, with the process all being done online via an “App” - assuming you had the ability to do that. As it turns out, the “App” being used to do the check-in is in beta. I got a message to call support and when I did they told me that the Govt Shutdown was impacting their ability to respond to issues. So we had to wait and do things the old fashion way - with people involved. An hour later two Customs Agent arrived at the boat thanking us for getting them out of the office! After clearing US Customs, we left the Customs dock with no Foreign Courtesy Flag flying - only the US flag flew from our stern. We had left the US (San Diego) for Ensenada almost to the day in 2015!

We had a 2 hr motor and motor-sail up San Diego Bay to Chula Vista Marina. While there are marinas in San Diego Bay that can accommodate catamarans our size, they are few and far between and there are more than enough local boaters to take up these slips leaving nothing for transit yachts like us. We found a space in Chula Vista Marina and were lucky to get it. About an hour after getting settled another round of wind and rain hit and we were glad to be on the dock. The rain and cold makes us believe we are back in the Pacific Northwest. We have been glad that we have a diesel heater to keep us warm and dry! Now if we could get some of that sunny, warm California weather!
Comments
Vessel Name: Songlines
Vessel Make/Model: 60' power catamaran designed by Malcolm Tennant
Hailing Port: Austin, Texas
Crew: David and Cindy Balfour
Social:
Songlines's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

MV Songlines

Who: David and Cindy Balfour
Port: Austin, Texas