Sailing with Inspiration

a journal detailing the cruising adventures of the sailing catamaran Inspiration

03 July 2016 | Prickley Bay, Grenada
14 May 2016 | Ste. Anne, Martinique
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
05 April 2016 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
20 March 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
29 February 2016 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
08 July 2015 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
03 July 2015 | Grenada, WI
06 June 2015 | Fort de France, Martinique
25 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
17 May 2015 | Barbuda
15 May 2015 | Portsmouth, Dominica
30 April 2015 | Barbuda
24 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
13 April 2015 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
30 March 2015 | Deshaies, Guadalupe
23 March 2015 | Rodney Bay, St Lucia
23 March 2015 | Calviny Bay, Grenada
12 March 2015 | Grenada, WI

Adventures in Grenada

12 March 2015 | Grenada, WI
Margi
Monday, February 16, we went to a free Acrobatics and Magic show put on by the Chinese to celebrate the Chinese New Year and 41 years of independence for Grenada. It was at the Trade Center. The place was filled to capacity. We got there early so we had seats in the 8th row. The costumes were very colorful. The acrobatics and magic were amazing.

Saturday, February 21 we went on a whale watch. There have been pilot whales spotted off the coast. We went with Scuba Tech - it is the diving operation here in Prickly Bay. Their boat is a perogi that has two 200 horsepower engines on the back. The boat is called Inspiration just like our boat. We motored around the west side of the island and then north until we were off of Guave on the NW coast. We looked in all directions. We saw big flying fish. Then we looked at the sky and a storm was coming. It rained hard and cold. The rain stopped and we started heading back south. Then we were hit with another rainstorm. It rained so hard that the whole island of Grenada disappeared. When the rain stopped we started heading south again. All of the sudden the driver started going out to deeper water at a fast speed. We got into a beautiful, HUGE pod of dolphins. They were all around the boat. A few times there were 4 dolphins almost close enough for me to touch swimming together next to the boat. This was the biggest pod of dolphins that I have ever seen. While everyone else was taking pictures I was just watching in all directions.

Then we started heading south again to go around the southwest tip of the island. This is where the airport is. The driver saw some sailboats well south of the island. He said they were two Hobbie Cats and they might need help. They were so far off the island that I thought they could not be Hobbie Cats. They were and they needed help. One man on a cat had the sails down and was waving for assistance. It was very rough in the water. I was just an observer in the boat holding on. We circled the cat and connected a tow line. The other cat had a power boat next to it. We thought that boat did not need help until we realized that the Hobbie Cat was trying to tow the power boat because it had run out of gas! The crew on Scuba Tech got another tow line out this one, which was shorter and the power boat caused some damage to Inspiration the dive boat. Evelyn, the Scuba Tech instructor, got on the radio and was able to have someone call Sandals to come and get their boats. It was very rough towing two boats in the washboard seas. When we let go of the boats, I saw the name on the side of the power boat. It was called Sandals Rescue.
Comments
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ 36 LRC
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Gary Lehnertz / Margi Lehnertz
About: Margi has wrapped up her tax returns and has now joined the boat. (Brad is back in Alaska - until next winter. Brad has lived in Alaska for the past 30+ years. He's now wintering in south Florida and is assisting on the trip to the eastern Caribbean.)
Extra:
We are taking my sailboat cruising through the Bahamas, then to the Virgin Islands followed by the eastern Caribbean (Leeward & Windward Islands). With the late start we go leaving George Town, we are working our way East & South. We will probably skip the Virgin Islands & the Leeward islands [...]
Inspiration's Photos - Main
Photos of Martinique
3 Photos
Created 3 July 2016
Pictures from visiting Trinidad
214 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
7 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 15 April 2015
pictures from Dominica
18 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
Parades & sights during Carnival at Port de France, Martinique
95 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
Pictures from the Grenada Carnival
20 Photos
Created 14 August 2012
more sunsets - sun rise comes too early!
29 Photos
Created 2 June 2012
Places we have been, People we have met
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of Inspirations crew (2 & 4 legged)
51 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
shots around the inside & outside of the boat
39 Photos
Created 15 March 2012