Journey Aboard Interlude

14 May 2014
02 May 2014
20 April 2014
09 June 2013 | Kekova Roads
25 May 2013 | Ece Saray Marina, Fethiye
18 May 2013 | Kas
17 May 2013 | Kalkan Harbor
13 May 2013 | Tomb Bay, Skopea Limani
05 May 2013 | Ekincik Koyu
29 April 2013 | Marti Marina, Gulf of Hisaronu
25 April 2013 | Kuraca Bucu
23 April 2013
19 April 2013 | Bodrum, Turkey
08 November 2012 | Paris, France
27 October 2012 | Turgutreis Marina
24 October 2012 | Gumusluk
13 October 2012
11 October 2012
10 October 2012 | Amazon Creek (Kuçuk Gunluk Koyu)

Day in Corfu

24 July 2012 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu
Dan
We decided to spend an extra night at Gouvia Marina yesterday in order to have additional time and not be so rushed in finishing our business here. After a quick stop at the laundromat we hopped a cab into Corfu Town. I jumped out at the Port Authority to take care of the entry formalities while Chris and Ty continued into town. Despite what we read in several sources, Gouvia Marina does NOT have customs and immigration personnel on site. (That was the primary reason we came here.) But we were advised by the marina staff after arrival on Monday that we could roam about the area that day and deal with officialdom in town at the commercial port on Tuesday ... so that's what we did. Technically we were illegal immigrants for a few hours and probably shouldn't make a habit of doing that!

So, after securing our Transit Log at the Customs office (cost now is 45 euro), then visiting Passport Control to have passports stamped and, finally getting our Transit Log stamped by the Port Authority staff (additional cost of 15 euro), I hopped another cab to meet up with Chris & Ty in the Town Centre as planned.

They had been scouting things out for nearly 2 hours and Tyler was eager to take me to the "Fish Spa", assuming there was no way I would ever sit for 15 minutes while little "Doctor Fish" nibbled away at my feet. Well, he was wrong and that's exactly what the two of us did. I want this trip to bring new experiences and push us out of our comfort zones a bit, so this was a small way of demonstrating that. I was initially somewhat skeptical, but our feet take a beating out here and I was wiling to try anything reasonable to bring a bit of relief. It ended up being a surprisingly refreshing and relaxing experience and our feet still felt great after several hours of roaming the hot streets of Corfu Town.

After lunch we set off to secure Greek cell phones and the process was time consuming and a bit frustrating. (It took two trips, spread over a four hour period.) It's also apparently VERY expensive to purchase pre-paid voice & data packages here ... almost as expensive as using our sat phone. I'll do a bit more research over the coming days to see if there are other options or better packages available, but for now we're sufficiently wired up and it'll be easier to communicate with each other when we're not all in the same place. Family and friends wishing to call us should use this number: 030 697 6940210.

Since we're trying to get on the same schedule that the locals do, we had a bit of down time back onboard Interlude after returning from Corfu Town around 6pm. By 10pm it was time for dinner and we went to Harry's Taverna, just 300m outside of the marina gates in the small village of Kontokali. Good food, reasonable prices and great authentic live music and Greek dancing for entertainment. This was the first time any of us had heard a Bouzouki (a plucked string instrument in the lute family) being played and hopefully not the last...The music and dancing were quite captivating and made for a memorable evening which was capped off when the owner brought us a complimentary plate of fresh fruit and shot glasses filled with Limoncello.

We were back onboard and tucked in by 12:30 am. It was another full day but one that finally delivered some of the experiences and sights that we'd been looking forward to. We'll be leaving Gouvia Marina later today, heading South probably to the island of Paxi (also spelled Paxoi). It's time to get away from marina life and begin enjoying some of the many small anchorages and villages that Greece is famous for.
Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Discovery 55
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Dan, Christine & Tyler Rice
About:
After 11 years of sailing primarily in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, our family is about to begin a much anticipated sailing adventure in the Mediterranean Sea and beyond! Dan has been preparing for and dreaming of this voyage for years; Tyler has deferred his admission to St. [...]
Extra:
Hope the way is long. May there be many summer mornings when, with what pleasure, with what joy, you shall enter first-seen harbors... Keep Ithaca always in your mind. Arriving there is what has been ordained for you. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts many [...]
Interlude's Photos - Main
This album contains selected best pics from our time in Greece this year.
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 16 June 2012
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2012