Journey Aboard Interlude

14 May 2014
02 May 2014
20 April 2014
09 June 2013 | Kekova Roads
25 May 2013 | Ece Saray Marina, Fethiye
18 May 2013 | Kas
17 May 2013 | Kalkan Harbor
13 May 2013 | Tomb Bay, Skopea Limani
05 May 2013 | Ekincik Koyu
29 April 2013 | Marti Marina, Gulf of Hisaronu
25 April 2013 | Kuraca Bucu
23 April 2013
19 April 2013 | Bodrum, Turkey
08 November 2012 | Paris, France
27 October 2012 | Turgutreis Marina
24 October 2012 | Gumusluk
13 October 2012
11 October 2012
10 October 2012 | Amazon Creek (Kuçuk Gunluk Koyu)

Aeolus, how have we offended thee??

26 July 2012
Dan
Aeolus was the Greek god of winds, appointed by Zeus to guard the storm winds which he kept locked away, releasing them at the request of the gods to wreak their havoc. Apparently we've done sometime to offend him. Either that or he has his days transposed.

After ignoring our prayers for enough wind so we could sail here from Montenegro, Aeolus is now testing us a bit. We've spent most of the past 24 hours onboard while the winds inside and outside the harbor howl and the boat swings to and fro. Except for a brief respite for a few hours before dawn, we've had sustained winds of 12-20 knots, with gusts over 25 all day. And that's inside the harbor where we have fairly good protection! As a result, we haven't felt comfortable leaving Interlude unattended, so most of the day has been spent onboard. Fortunately, there's been plenty of entertainment and we've passed the time watching other boats, many of which are bareboat charterers, try to find room to lay down and secure their anchors. For many, this is a multiple attempt ordeal particularly those who have tried to get their anchors to bite in the section of the bay which is covered with sea grass.

Chris and I went ashore around lunchtime, leaving Tyler onboard to keep watch. As luck would have it, another boater laid his anchor on top of ours while we were away. And of course it didn't hold so they ended up bumping into us during the ensuing action. Fortunately, I had inflated and hung our fenders last evening in anticipation of this kind of thing, so there was no damage done, except perhaps to the other skipper's ego. Tyler called me while the situation was playing out and we watched from the hillside nearby as he calmly dealt it. After talking him thru the process of redeploying the snubber, Interlude was secured once again and we were back onboard a short while later.

We've done NO maintenance projects yet today and I'm feeling a bit guilty about that. But, to be honest, I needed a break because I've had precious little downtime since leaving home two weeks ago and I really didn't get that much sleep last night. I'm guessing that whoever the Greek god of fixing things is will make us pay some kind of price in the days ahead....
Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Discovery 55
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Dan, Christine & Tyler Rice
About:
After 11 years of sailing primarily in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, our family is about to begin a much anticipated sailing adventure in the Mediterranean Sea and beyond! Dan has been preparing for and dreaming of this voyage for years; Tyler has deferred his admission to St. [...]
Extra:
Hope the way is long. May there be many summer mornings when, with what pleasure, with what joy, you shall enter first-seen harbors... Keep Ithaca always in your mind. Arriving there is what has been ordained for you. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts many [...]
Interlude's Photos - Main
This album contains selected best pics from our time in Greece this year.
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 16 June 2012
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2012