Journey Aboard Interlude

14 May 2014
02 May 2014
20 April 2014
09 June 2013 | Kekova Roads
25 May 2013 | Ece Saray Marina, Fethiye
18 May 2013 | Kas
17 May 2013 | Kalkan Harbor
13 May 2013 | Tomb Bay, Skopea Limani
05 May 2013 | Ekincik Koyu
29 April 2013 | Marti Marina, Gulf of Hisaronu
25 April 2013 | Kuraca Bucu
23 April 2013
19 April 2013 | Bodrum, Turkey
08 November 2012 | Paris, France
27 October 2012 | Turgutreis Marina
24 October 2012 | Gumusluk
13 October 2012
11 October 2012
10 October 2012 | Amazon Creek (Kuçuk Gunluk Koyu)

Anchored on Cephalonia

03 August 2012 | Dhaskalio, Cephalonia
Dan
Our new British friends Simon and Louise left the anchorage early this morning, heading for a day of windsurfing at Vassilki. After brief goodbye's and a very kind invitation for Tyler to visit them in Brighton, we had the anchorage all to ourselves. Quite a contrast to two nights ago when there were eight boats sharing the place. I went snorkeling in search of an octopus that others had seen, but came up empty. As Tyler the sleeper remained in his berth, Chris and I retrieved the shorelines, hauled anchor and began the quick hop over to Fiskhardo.

The harbor there is a beehive of activity with ferry boats coming and going and private boats like ours jockeying for position along the quay. We were there to top off our water tanks and, fortunately, a spot opened up in front of a taverna which had a water hose available for visiting yachts. We dropped anchor and backed in along the quay, nestled next to a Greek family in a powerboat and French family in a sailboat. Since we weren't staying long, I didn't want to bother setting up the passerelle and the Greek captain was kind enough to let me hop onto his boat so I could get to and from shore. But first ... I accepted his invitation to "come and sit", sharing a glass of ouzo with he and his family. And when he learned of our plans to transit the Gulfs of Patras and Corinth, out came the nautical charts with lots of helpful advice and recommendations on places to stay. I brought them a plate of sliced salmon as thanks for their hospitality and a short while later his wife delivered a delightful plate full of homemade breakfast pastries with marmalade that she made herself. By then it was lunchtime and I joined them for a delicious Greek salad. And we thought we were just stopping for water....

After topping off the water tanks and giving Interlude a much-needed freshwater rinse (is it ever going to rain here???), I helped Ty and Chris stow the provisions they had picked up in town and we were off again in search of a more peaceful spot to spend the evening. We're now at anchor in a small bay just a short distance from Fiscardo and we have the place to ourselves and a great view of Ithaca across the channel. The afternoon winds have just settled down and it looks like we'll have another quiet and uneventful evening. But who knows ... I've learned already to expect the unexpected out here. You never know what's going to happen from one moment to the next. Before going to bed each night we put out our life vests, our spotlight, glasses and other items that we might need if our anchor drags or we need to leave in a hurry. Fortunately, we've not had to do that just yet but Chris and I had a night-time experience last year in Montenegro which taught us to be cautious and prepared.

By the way ... a quick word of thanks to our friend Keely for telling us about iDrifter XL, a great iPad application which stays by my bedside and warns me if we're outside of our expected swing radius. I sleep much better at night with iDrifter monitoring things for us.

Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Discovery 55
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Dan, Christine & Tyler Rice
About:
After 11 years of sailing primarily in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, our family is about to begin a much anticipated sailing adventure in the Mediterranean Sea and beyond! Dan has been preparing for and dreaming of this voyage for years; Tyler has deferred his admission to St. [...]
Extra:
Hope the way is long. May there be many summer mornings when, with what pleasure, with what joy, you shall enter first-seen harbors... Keep Ithaca always in your mind. Arriving there is what has been ordained for you. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts many [...]
Interlude's Photos - Main
This album contains selected best pics from our time in Greece this year.
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 16 June 2012
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2012