Journey Aboard Interlude

14 May 2014
02 May 2014
20 April 2014
09 June 2013 | Kekova Roads
25 May 2013 | Ece Saray Marina, Fethiye
18 May 2013 | Kas
17 May 2013 | Kalkan Harbor
13 May 2013 | Tomb Bay, Skopea Limani
05 May 2013 | Ekincik Koyu
29 April 2013 | Marti Marina, Gulf of Hisaronu
25 April 2013 | Kuraca Bucu
23 April 2013
19 April 2013 | Bodrum, Turkey
08 November 2012 | Paris, France
27 October 2012 | Turgutreis Marina
24 October 2012 | Gumusluk
13 October 2012
11 October 2012
10 October 2012 | Amazon Creek (Kuçuk Gunluk Koyu)

Trizonia, Galaxahdi & Itea

11 August 2012 | Itea Marina
Dan 30degrees C, 1010mb, overcast with thunderstorms
Time to play a bit of catch-up on this blog, lest the days begin to blur together...

We left Trizonia yesterday morning after spending the night swinging on the hook in the harbor there. Trizonia is the only inhabited island in the Gulf of Corinth and is home to a population of approximately 400. It's a VERY quaint little place, primarily a Greek vacation spot except for the handful of cruising yachts like ours who come to visit. A couple of tavernas and hotels, a mini-grocery store in the back of one of the tavernas and a small marina for local boats. Also a nice beach in the bay just north of where we anchored. All in all, the kind of place we could have spent more time in if we weren't on a bit of a schedule to continue moving east.

Galaxahdi has a similar, authentic feel although it is a considerably larger place. The entrance was dramatic as we navigated thru rocky islets and shoals, then passing by a large cathedral on the hill overlooking the bay. While most of the buildings in the the Ionian Islands were hastily rebuilt after the 1953 earthquake, the architecture here in the Gulf of Corinth is significantly older, more varied and MUCH more appealing. We tied up stern-to at the town quay with a bit of help with the lines from "Tommy" the self-appointed harbormaster. He informed us that electricity would cost 5 euros and water hookup would be another 5. Sounded reasonable to me. But I learned later that electricity and water are free and that "Tommy" is the town drunk, scamming unsuspecting visitors like us to support his addiction. Visiting yachters beware of a bare chested bald man who looks a bit like Gandhi... he's not the real deal.

The holding is poor in front of the town quay and we had to untie ourselves and reset the anchor after about an hour. Up came thick gooey mud on the chain and anchor. We laid out 60 meters of chain on the second try, typically overkill with depths of just 4-5 meters. Then back we went to tie our stern to the quay. That held better until around 2:30 am when I woke to check on things and noticed we had slipped a bit. After pulling in a meter or so of chain we were safely away from the quay again but I spent the rest of the night getting up every 30 minutes or so to double check.

We had hoped to leave the boat at Galaxahdi while we rented a car and drove up to Delphi for the day. But it was windy and I didn't feel confident leaving Interlude unattended there so we decided to move to Itea, just 3.5 miles away, where there is a marina we could safely tie up at. We arrived around 10:30 am and found that the marina is no longer being actively managed ... the office, restrooms and security station have all been abandoned and there is no working electricity along the docks. Still, there was plenty of room for us to tie up alongside one of the concrete piers and it was a MUCH more secure place for us to leave the boat. Our rental car was delivered right to the marina by an entrepreneurial young woman who simply copied my driver's license info and asked for no credit card as security for the vehicle. I agreed to pay her 50 euro when we returned the car (expensive by US standards but by far our cheapest 1-day rental so far in Greece) and off to Delphi we went! That will be the subject of our next post....

Visiting cruisers seeking to rent a car in Galaxahdi or Itea should contact Ioanna Ntrismpioti with Corner Rent A Car at +30 6948582017 or via email at idrisbi@yahoo.gr. She's professional, fluent in English, prompt and will deliver cars directly to your boat in either location.
Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Discovery 55
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Dan, Christine & Tyler Rice
About:
After 11 years of sailing primarily in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, our family is about to begin a much anticipated sailing adventure in the Mediterranean Sea and beyond! Dan has been preparing for and dreaming of this voyage for years; Tyler has deferred his admission to St. [...]
Extra:
Hope the way is long. May there be many summer mornings when, with what pleasure, with what joy, you shall enter first-seen harbors... Keep Ithaca always in your mind. Arriving there is what has been ordained for you. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts many [...]
Interlude's Photos - Main
This album contains selected best pics from our time in Greece this year.
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 16 June 2012
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2012