Journey Aboard Interlude

14 May 2014
02 May 2014
20 April 2014
09 June 2013 | Kekova Roads
25 May 2013 | Ece Saray Marina, Fethiye
18 May 2013 | Kas
17 May 2013 | Kalkan Harbor
13 May 2013 | Tomb Bay, Skopea Limani
05 May 2013 | Ekincik Koyu
29 April 2013 | Marti Marina, Gulf of Hisaronu
25 April 2013 | Kuraca Bucu
23 April 2013
19 April 2013 | Bodrum, Turkey
08 November 2012 | Paris, France
27 October 2012 | Turgutreis Marina
24 October 2012 | Gumusluk
13 October 2012
11 October 2012
10 October 2012 | Amazon Creek (Kuçuk Gunluk Koyu)

Meltemi Watch

20 August 2012 | Neorion Bay, Poros
Dan 33 degrees C, 1016mb, clear skies & WINDY
Winds in the Mediterranean are given different names depending on the direction and season that they blow. The Meltemi is the name of the Summer & early Fall wind which blows from the NNE in the Central Aegean. We've been hunkered down for the past several days waiting for it to blow out and it looks like today will be the final, yet strongest day. We should be moving along again tomorrow...

We're anchored and swinging around now at Neorion Bay, just east of Russian Bay where we've been tied stern-to for the past several days. I was down below earlier this morning when our neighbors on Blue Dreams hollered to say that one of our two stern lines ... the one with the chain looped around a rock on shore... had somehow broken loose. Within seconds we were nudging against their boat, with their dingy and boarding ladder caught between us. Chris and Ty were on deck quickly and cast off the two stern lines while I started the engine and powered away from Blue Dreams. With gusty winds forecasted for the remainder of the day, I decided not to re-occupy our spot. It was perfect when we first arrived, but then others came in on both sides of us and it became a bit crowded. So after a quick radio chat with the skipper of Blue Dreams to confirm that his boat wasn't damaged, we moved Interlude to the center of Neorion Bay next door.

We've spent the afternoon on Meltemi Watch. The winds are blowing 15-20 but the gusts are considerably stronger. Chris had her hat blown off her head while down INSIDE the galley from one gust. There have been several times where the wind blew strong enough to create clouds of spray on the surface of the water. Boats are swinging in circles and bobbing to and fro like plastic toys in a bathtub. There is a fire on the other side of the hills to the South of us with airplanes dropping water to douse it. Watching all of this action and remaining alert to the situation around us has provided afternoon entertainment and kept us plenty occupied.

We're hoping the winds will subside enough so we can go ashore tonight for dinner. Then tomorrow we'll head south to Hydra ... an island we've been reading a lot about and are anxious to visit. I'll try to post another update once we get settled in there late tomorrow.


Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Discovery 55
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Dan, Christine & Tyler Rice
About:
After 11 years of sailing primarily in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, our family is about to begin a much anticipated sailing adventure in the Mediterranean Sea and beyond! Dan has been preparing for and dreaming of this voyage for years; Tyler has deferred his admission to St. [...]
Extra:
Hope the way is long. May there be many summer mornings when, with what pleasure, with what joy, you shall enter first-seen harbors... Keep Ithaca always in your mind. Arriving there is what has been ordained for you. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts many [...]
Interlude's Photos - Main
This album contains selected best pics from our time in Greece this year.
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 16 June 2012
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2012