Journey Aboard Interlude

14 May 2014
02 May 2014
20 April 2014
09 June 2013 | Kekova Roads
25 May 2013 | Ece Saray Marina, Fethiye
18 May 2013 | Kas
17 May 2013 | Kalkan Harbor
13 May 2013 | Tomb Bay, Skopea Limani
05 May 2013 | Ekincik Koyu
29 April 2013 | Marti Marina, Gulf of Hisaronu
25 April 2013 | Kuraca Bucu
23 April 2013
19 April 2013 | Bodrum, Turkey
08 November 2012 | Paris, France
27 October 2012 | Turgutreis Marina
24 October 2012 | Gumusluk
13 October 2012
11 October 2012
10 October 2012 | Amazon Creek (Kuçuk Gunluk Koyu)

Island Time on Naxos

30 September 2012 | Naxos Town
Dan 25 degrees C, 1014mb, 20+kt N wind
We intended to stay in Naxos just two nights but this island seems to have cast a spell over us. Today is our fourth day here and the daily rhythm apparently suits us quite nicely. We'll move along tomorrow. Or maybe the next day...

Naxos is the largest, highest, and definitely the most verdant island in the Cyclades. Mt. Zas (Zeus) rises to a height of 1,003 meters, while the fertile valleys in the center of the island produce grain, olives, fruit, vegetables and wine. And in the less arable areas of the island, substantial quantities of white marble as well as emery are mined. In fact, there is such an abundance of marble here that the mountain village of Apeiranthos has streets entirely paved with the stuff.

According to ancient mythology, Zeus was raised here, as was Dionysus who met and married Ariadne after she was abandoned on the island by Theseus. We drove to Mt. Zas yesterday and some of the views from up there were truly worthy of the Gods.

Interlude has been tied up at Hora, the main port town on Naxos. Immediately to our North is the islet of Palatia where the Portara, depicted in the photo above stands. This structure was built around 530 BC and was intended to be a temple honoring Apollo. However, it was never finished and today only the foundation and this rectangular portal still remain.

We enjoyed a tasty and memorable evening at La Vigne the other evening. Foodies visiting Naxos should definitely dine here. It's a French wine bar with an extensive wine menu and a dozen or so 'small plates' that are served tapas-style. There are only a handful of tables, several inside and the rest outside in the narrow alleyway in front. The owners are two french women who came here on holiday 10 years go and decided to stay. They spend as much time chatting with their customers as they do in the kitchen and the experience is almost like being invited over for dinner. Great food, wine and conversation...definitely one of the most memorable and enjoyable dining experiences we've had since arriving in Greece.

Another memorable experience was the "Bouzouki Evening" performance held in the courtyard of an old Venetian castle built in the 12th century. The bouzouki is a traditional Greek instrument, similar to a lute or a mandolin. The performance featured traditional dance, song and Greek music. This was our second opportunity to hear live bouzouki music in Greece and we've enjoyed both experiences quite a bit.

Tomorrow is the first day of October and it's time to head over to Turkey. We'll stop first on Paros to pick up the newly repaired dingy. From there we may stop on Amorgos and then Kos before clearing into Turkey near Bodrum. We'll have a week or so to explore before flying to Istanbul on the 14th of October where we will meet our friend Liz. Tyler heads off to spend a month in Thailand on the 19th while Chris, Liz and I return to the boat for a few more days of sailing. Interlude will be out of the water by November 1st but I suspect we'll spend a week or so after that getting her ready for winter storage. But before all of that, Tyler and I have a football game to watch. Kick-off for the Packers v. Saints game is in less than 3 hours and we'll be streaming the game live again on his computer. Such is the state of on-board technology these days. It's really quite remarkable...

Go Pack!
Comments
Vessel Name: Interlude
Vessel Make/Model: Discovery 55
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Dan, Christine & Tyler Rice
About:
After 11 years of sailing primarily in the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, our family is about to begin a much anticipated sailing adventure in the Mediterranean Sea and beyond! Dan has been preparing for and dreaming of this voyage for years; Tyler has deferred his admission to St. [...]
Extra:
Hope the way is long. May there be many summer mornings when, with what pleasure, with what joy, you shall enter first-seen harbors... Keep Ithaca always in your mind. Arriving there is what has been ordained for you. But do not hurry the journey at all. Better if it lasts many [...]
Interlude's Photos - Main
This album contains selected best pics from our time in Greece this year.
38 Photos
Created 13 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 16 June 2012
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2012