Photo Albums
28 March 2019
169 Photos

Sailing Isabella

Vessel Name: Isabella
Vessel Make/Model: Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 Cutter Ketch
Hailing Port: Biloxi Mississippi
Crew: Jim Ulmer
15 September 2020
02 June 2020
05 March 2020
24 January 2020
04 December 2019
18 November 2019
24 October 2019
01 August 2019
06 June 2019
06 June 2019
06 June 2019
06 June 2019
16 April 2019
Recent Blog Posts
15 September 2020

Cockpit Teak

With the deck and cockpit re-gelcoated, wet sanded and polished it was time to replace the teak on the cockpit seats. It is slow and fiddlely! but looks great! More Pics in the Album.

02 June 2020

New Gelcoat

The decision to repaint with gelcoat was not an easy one. Paint is so much easier to do; prep, mask, spray, unmask, and done.

05 March 2020

Teak Art!

The cockpit floor/engine cover need the teak replaced. After removing the old teak I discovered that the plywood core was soaked. I cut it all out, replaced it and glassed over the whole cover to make it thicker. I then milled my own teak for the new sole. I am gluing this down with thickened epoxy. I just love this look and function.

24 January 2020

Completed hatch lids

I was able to finish the companionway hatch slide and the hatch lids. I used Perfection two part varnish for the finish. This requires that you remove old one part varnishes to apply. With these made of new teak it was a good time to try a two part varnish. So far I like it a lot. It can be applied [...]

04 December 2019

Replacing the hatch slide

I thought I would only have to replace the acrylic on the companion way slide hatch. But when I removed the acrylic the frame fell apart. SO! New project not on the list. I'm glad I purchased extra teak.

18 November 2019

New Teak Hatch Project

The cold has stopped the painting project and I moved inside to complete the new Teak hatch lids. I decided to use a different corner joint then Cabo Rico. I am using a keyed miter joint. I think it looks better and is stronger. I also hope to incorporate provisions for security bars into the new [...]

Cockpit Teak

15 September 2020
Jim Ulmer
With the deck and cockpit re-gelcoated, wet sanded and polished it was time to replace the teak on the cockpit seats. It is slow and fiddlely! but looks great! More Pics in the Album.

New Gelcoat

02 June 2020
Jim Ulmer
The decision to repaint with gelcoat was not an easy one. Paint is so much easier to do; prep, mask, spray, unmask, and done.
With gelcoat it's the same except add, wet sand from 400 to 1000 grit paper, buff with compound, buff with polish, wax and buff again.
Here is my progress so far;
Deck and cockpit sprayed and waiting on sanding and buffing.
Topsides of the hull is sanded and still preping to spray with gel.

Teak Art!

05 March 2020
Jim Ulmer
The cockpit floor/engine cover need the teak replaced. After removing the old teak I discovered that the plywood core was soaked. I cut it all out, replaced it and glassed over the whole cover to make it thicker. I then milled my own teak for the new sole. I am gluing this down with thickened epoxy. I just love this look and function.

Completed hatch lids

24 January 2020
Jim Ulmer
I was able to finish the companionway hatch slide and the hatch lids. I used Perfection two part varnish for the finish. This requires that you remove old one part varnishes to apply. With these made of new teak it was a good time to try a two part varnish. So far I like it a lot. It can be applied in consecutive coats with out sanding. I found that it is necessary to sand before the last coat to get a near perfect finish. I used foam brushes and sprayed the final coat.
I also remade the teak nose cap and plan to varnish all the cap-rails to match.

Replacing the hatch slide

04 December 2019
Jim Ulmer
I thought I would only have to replace the acrylic on the companion way slide hatch. But when I removed the acrylic the frame fell apart. SO! New project not on the list. I'm glad I purchased extra teak.
See additional pictures in the gallery.

New Teak Hatch Project

18 November 2019
Jim Ulmer
The cold has stopped the painting project and I moved inside to complete the new Teak hatch lids. I decided to use a different corner joint then Cabo Rico. I am using a keyed miter joint. I think it looks better and is stronger. I also hope to incorporate provisions for security bars into the new hatches.
I have almost completed the lids and need to apply varnish and set the acrylic.

look in the gallery for more pictures of the project.
Isabella's Photos - Main
Pictures of a 4 year complete refit.
169 Photos
Created 28 March 2019

About & Links

Photo Albums
28 March 2019
169 Photos