s/v jusdreaming

The trials and sailing tales of Denny & Diane

01 May 2014 | Fat Deer Key
30 April 2014 | Channel Key
29 April 2014 | Shell Key
28 April 2014 | Cow Pens/ Plantation Key
26 April 2014 | Tarpon Basin
25 April 2014 | Thursday Cove
23 April 2014 | Jew Point
22 April 2014 | Billy Point
21 April 2014 | Marine Stadium
17 April 2014 | New River Marina
16 April 2014 | Lake Santa Barbara
15 April 2014 | Lake Worth
14 April 2014 | Hobe Sound
22 June 2012 | Stuart, Fl
06 June 2012 | Marsh Harbor
26 May 2012 | Royal Island
04 May 2012 | George Town
29 April 2012 | George Town
17 April 2012 | George Town, Exumas
30 March 2012 | Black Point

Are we having fun yet

22 June 2012 | Stuart, Fl
Diane wanted to go to Spanish Wells for a secret sea glass spot. When we finally got there, Diane was walking on the "iron shore" and fell. She fcked up her foot,ankle, shin, and hand, pretty bad. Basically lost skin every where, so sea glass adventures were over as she could not walk on her foot. She kinda looked like a mummy with my bandaging!!! But this meant it was time to head for Marsh Harbor. Other than running out of fuel,AGAIN, about half way there, all worked out well.

We got to MH and anchored in the harbor to get fuel, and groceries. But in the middle of the night I am awakened by a major storm approaching. All of a sudden I hear a MAJOR bang. Yep we got struck by lightning. It's about 3:00 in the morning so I go back to bed. The next morning we confirm sht is broke, and everything at the mast head is gone, except the wind instruments. Other wise electronics are fried. But I figure I can get us home without GPS, as the depth sounder is working, and I know the way home.

So we decide after some groceries, and fuel we head out. Well just before Treasure Cay, we get slammed by a squall with 50 knt,, and lightning and thunder. Well we get hit AGAIN, this time it finished off what was barely working before. Needless to say I was not a happy camper at this point. I am ready to do a "LT. Dan" from "Forrest Gump" , moment. So back to MH to figure out what to do. well as usual, the cruiser's community pitches in and loans us a VHF, and a GPS. We are ready to get the hell back to Stuart at this point. I am advised not to raise the main as we could dis mast due to damage to the rigging. Ok we can still do this, it will be a SLOW trip with no main and basically one engine.

Uneventful trip to West End, with a few stops between.

We leave West End at about 4:00 am with light winds on a close reach. But as the winds die and clock we are now making a whopping 2 knts.(one engine and no main). The GPS says it is going to be approx. 18 hrs to get across. With no autohelm, Diane in a major MS flair. I figure this is not going to be a good thing being at the helm with no relief for 18 hours. So Diane says "don't we have unlimited towing?" So I call Tow boat and request a tow. They come out in about three hours, and we are still 46 miles out. It was a nice ride at 9 knts the rest of the way.

Then as we are coming in the inlet,being towed, we are boarded by the customs/immigration folks. Nothing found, except Diane's giant medicine bag gets their interest. But after about a half hour they bid us good luck. But as we are making it up the river we get a major squall with 65 knts hits us. Raing hard enough that I could not even see the tow boat. We drag them all over the river but no harm no foul.

The next day we go to Ft. lauderdale and pick up our car. As we are getting close to home, we are staying in a friends condo, so Di has all her meds with her in the dose box, we get stopped by the police for speeding. He decides he should now search the car!!!!!!!!!!!! And naturally he finds Diane's meds. Not in their bottles but in the dosage box. He informs her he could put her in jail for four days with no calls. After standing next to the squad car with strobing light, Diane is becoming seizureish. She grabs him by the arm and he says "don't touch me!!!!!!!!!!" and he doesn't care if she has MS, the law is the law. She does not go to jail but gets her ass reamed by the "dick head cop", and we finally get home.

So lets say we probably have had enough adventures for a month or two. And we have started the process of insurance
Comments
Vessel Name: jusdreaming
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Stuart, Fl
Crew: Denny & Diane DeRanek
About: Admiral- Diane First Mate- Matilda
Home Page: http://www.svjusdreaming.net
jusdreaming's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Who: Denny & Diane DeRanek
Port: Stuart, Fl