s/v jusdreaming

The trials and sailing tales of Denny & Diane

01 May 2014 | Fat Deer Key
30 April 2014 | Channel Key
29 April 2014 | Shell Key
28 April 2014 | Cow Pens/ Plantation Key
26 April 2014 | Tarpon Basin
25 April 2014 | Thursday Cove
23 April 2014 | Jew Point
22 April 2014 | Billy Point
21 April 2014 | Marine Stadium
17 April 2014 | New River Marina
16 April 2014 | Lake Santa Barbara
15 April 2014 | Lake Worth
14 April 2014 | Hobe Sound
22 June 2012 | Stuart, Fl
06 June 2012 | Marsh Harbor
26 May 2012 | Royal Island
04 May 2012 | George Town
29 April 2012 | George Town
17 April 2012 | George Town, Exumas
30 March 2012 | Black Point

"Working on Boats in Exotic Places"

05 April 2008 | 23 21.37�N: 75 08.46�W
4-5-08 23 21.37"N: 75 08.46"W
I know it has been a while but its island time and not much to report.
After the Jumentos we went to Thompson Bay/ Salt Pond. If you plug in the coordinates into "GoogleEarth.com" you will see that to get from the Jumentos to Salt Pond is a shallow passage. But we made it with no events to report.
The front we had run from caught us in Salt Pond. And the wind was 25-30 out of the north and east for a solid week. We tucked in the north end and were very protected, and had a nice calm week at anchor.
After a week it was time to head back to Georgetown ?! It was a nice sail over with a flotilla of boats that had been hold up in Thompson Bay. We decided rather than go straight in to Elizabeth Harbor from the south, we would fish our way up to Conch Cut at the other end. As we make the cut, the water pump on the port engine finally decides to give up!!! It makes a helluva last scream as the bearings seize up, BUMMER!! Diane yells up from the engine room that it is making a loud screaming sound that she has not heard before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We ease on into Kidd's Cove on one engine and sails, not a big deal. Unfortunately that is the engine that powers the refridge, but we still have the generator for that. The next morning I start the genset only to have it quit after a few minutes. After trying a number of things, including a mouthful of diesel fuel, (siphoning sucks), I realize the engine is overheating. I pull the raw water impeller and it has no blades left on it!!
We borrow a "Honda Generator" from friends on "S/V Nice and Easy" and we have cold again. I get on the computer and order a water pump, (engine), and an impeller (genset) from Ft. Lauderdale. Then arrange for them to be dropped off at "Reggie Air Express" by Fred. In the mean time our GREAT FRIEND, Susie has picked up and arranged for Diane's meds to also be shipped to Reggie. So the following Thursday, (Reggie only comes to Exumas on Tues. and Thurs.), after a ride to the airport and a brief chat with the customs man, we have parts and meds!!! Nothing eventful about the repairs, just back to the definition of cruising: "Working on your boat in EXOTIC places". Luckily I still like to turn wrenches and all is well!!
A special thanks to Susie, Fred, Yoos guys are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: jusdreaming
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Stuart, Fl
Crew: Denny & Diane DeRanek
About: Admiral- Diane First Mate- Matilda
Home Page: http://www.svjusdreaming.net
jusdreaming's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Who: Denny & Diane DeRanek
Port: Stuart, Fl