Silk Road by the Sea

02 February 2011 | Taipei, Taiwan
06 January 2011 | Taiwan
26 December 2010 | Palau
13 December 2010 | Ulong Island
07 December 2010 | Koror, Palau
06 April 2010 | Koror, Palau
22 March 2010 | Royal Belau Yacht Club
07 January 2010 | Kansas City, MO USA
22 December 2009 | Rockford, IL USA
04 December 2009 | Koror, Palau
01 December 2009 | Palau
29 November 2009 | Still On the way to Palau
25 November 2009 | On the way to Palau
25 November 2009 | On the way to Palau
16 November 2009 | On the way to Palau
13 November 2009 | PNG
08 November 2009 | underway
06 November 2009
29 October 2009
18 October 2009 | Santo Vanuatu

14 November 2008 | 23 26.082S:178 40.709W
We've seen so many fantastic sunsets that it is hard to say any one of them was the best. But, last night's display was definitely at the top of the list! It was a spectacular show of brilliant orange-red clouds gild in liquid gold as the huge fiery orb melted into the creamy welcoming sea. We sat in the cockpit dining on pesto-filled tortellini with a spicy eggplant saut�ed in garlic and red chili, watching every inch of the sky being brush stroked by a palette of glowing hues.
This morning we woke to a sea of glass. No words can capture the sense of calm spanning horizon to horizon. I could stare for hours at the reflection of every cumulus cloud on the glassy surface. There was a complete mirror of the sea birds and occasional flying fish as they leapt out of the water. It was truly remarkable! Abbey and I took pictures of our reflection looking into the ocean from the bowsprit.
There is absolutely no wind, not a ripple in the water. The surface undulates faintly as the distant swell gently rolls through rocking the boat every so slightly. We are motoring which takes away from the tranquility, but up at the bow just the sound of the air and waves is heard as our hull cuts through the stillness. The connection to water is such a mysterious one. Our birth is from water. Our bodies are over 65% water. The Spirit of the Living God is likened unto water. Out here in the middle of it, it's like there is no barrier between the blood coursing through my veins and the sea surrounding me. It's like one continuous connection. The sea setting the voice of my soul, my soul taking its pulse from the sea. Trippy.
This day is such a rare beauty. Some how I want to imprint it as my recall screensaver!
Joel is trolling 4 lines with tantalizing lures beckoning a school of Mahi up from the deep. When we left the Haapai group last week, a red tide exploded in the waters. Every cubic inch was occupied by algae. Apparently the fish don't bite then, or not as much. Now, the water has returned to its deep clear navy with only traces of the algae phenom. We're ready for some succulent Mahi meat!
We'll be pulling into Minerva Reef in about 3 hours. We're looking forward to finding an obscure reef out in the middle of hundreds of miles of ocean. What an experience to anchor during the middle of a crossing!
Love to you all, Janet


Comments
Vessel Name: svkairos
Vessel Make/Model: 38 Island Packet
Hailing Port: LV NV
Crew: Clint, Janet, Joel, Colin and Abbey
About:
The Glenny family has been cruising since 2000. We started with all five of our children aboard a 50ft. Jeanneau in Tortola and sailed for 8 mos. covering all the islands from Puerto Rico to Grenada. [...]
Extra: We fish everytime we are underway. We always catch plenty and keep alot of fish frozen to have on hand. We like to scuba dive and have a compressor and tanks on board. Kairos is a great boat, very sea worthy and we would recommend Island Packets to anyone.

If it is going to happen, it is going to happen OUT THERE!

Who: Clint, Janet, Joel, Colin and Abbey
Port: LV NV