Silk Road by the Sea

02 February 2011 | Taipei, Taiwan
06 January 2011 | Taiwan
26 December 2010 | Palau
13 December 2010 | Ulong Island
07 December 2010 | Koror, Palau
06 April 2010 | Koror, Palau
22 March 2010 | Royal Belau Yacht Club
07 January 2010 | Kansas City, MO USA
22 December 2009 | Rockford, IL USA
04 December 2009 | Koror, Palau
01 December 2009 | Palau
29 November 2009 | Still On the way to Palau
25 November 2009 | On the way to Palau
25 November 2009 | On the way to Palau
16 November 2009 | On the way to Palau
13 November 2009 | PNG
08 November 2009 | underway
06 November 2009
29 October 2009
18 October 2009 | Santo Vanuatu

Day 1 en route to Tonga

03 May 2009 | South Pacific
Janet
AND THEY'RE OFF! We had a 1030 rally start from Opua Marina. It was pretty fun; there were about 35 cruising boats weaving in and out of the boats on the moorings positioning for a start across the yacht club pier. We were headed into the wind trying to get our mainsail up when a 65ft. boat attempted to cut in front of us at the gun. I held my course and made her think better of it! She was sleek and glamorous, but we're the "Little Boat That Could!"
Photobucket
It was a splendid day; bright, clear, turquoise skies framed by cotton ball cumulus on the horizons. I am so happy to be cut free from the dock lines! Boats are not made to sit in marinas having their bottoms assaulted by crustaceans. We were escorted out of the bay by dolphins for over two hours. Large bottlenose wove across our bow for about 3 miles, then, we were picked up by playful spinners swimming on their sides looking up and smiling at Abbey and playing "pass the strand of seaweed."
PhotobucketPhotobucket
The winds are light and variable. After the storm went through last night, they can't figure out where they want to come from. We tried all kinds of sail configurations while they clocked around 360 and only blew 3-5 knts. The seas are still big and rolly giving us a "bucking" ride. Most of the boats took off with the hammer down, but we purists insist on sail power! It takes a while to get back in the rhythm of passage making, especially when it is rough to start. I managed to cook lunch and dinner underway. Clint and I are pretty exhausted though after working on the boat day and night. Now that Joel and Colin aren't here, the watches fall to us. We let Abbey take the 9-12 watch last night and she did great! One of the big negatives of traveling with a rally is that there are a lot of boats around at night. We had one close call during Clint's and my watch change at 3 am. We were on an obtuse heading with another boat that was under power while we were under sail. We had our main tied out with a preventer and were as far off as we could. They kept their course and we barely cut across their bow. That's no fun at night especially because it is really hard to judge distance of running lights and hard to discern correct angles. Another scary phenomenon that happens out here is the presentation of rising and setting planets. There is a certain point that they get off the horizon and suddenly appear like a bright mast light heading straight for you! It's freaky and takes a few runs of tachycardia before figuring out that it is a heavenly body and not a crash target. We're trying to keep a heading so we can stop at Minerva Reef again on our way. We hope to get there and take a break for a day or two. Remember, we love to hear from you too! TONGA BOUND, Janet, Clint, and Abbey.
Comments
Vessel Name: svkairos
Vessel Make/Model: 38 Island Packet
Hailing Port: LV NV
Crew: Clint, Janet, Joel, Colin and Abbey
About:
The Glenny family has been cruising since 2000. We started with all five of our children aboard a 50ft. Jeanneau in Tortola and sailed for 8 mos. covering all the islands from Puerto Rico to Grenada. [...]
Extra: We fish everytime we are underway. We always catch plenty and keep alot of fish frozen to have on hand. We like to scuba dive and have a compressor and tanks on board. Kairos is a great boat, very sea worthy and we would recommend Island Packets to anyone.

If it is going to happen, it is going to happen OUT THERE!

Who: Clint, Janet, Joel, Colin and Abbey
Port: LV NV