Rich and Kelly Rae's Excellent Adventures

The Eighth Cruise of the Starship Kelly Rae - Boldly Going Where Lots of People Have Gone Before. But We Haven't - So it is a Great Adventure!

28 October 2017
26 June 2017 | Canso, Nova Scotia
27 May 2017
08 May 2017
27 March 2017
25 February 2017
10 January 2017
02 January 2017
21 December 2016
21 November 2016
21 November 2016
01 May 2016
01 May 2016

Cumberland Island

21 November 2016
I am in no particular hurry to get to my wintertime cruising grounds in the Bahamas. They’ll be there when I get there.

So, when once again afloat, the choice to turn north towards Cumberland Island and St. Mary’s, GA to spend a couple of weeks in two of my favorite places on the ICW was an easy one.

I spent last week anchored at Cumberland – enjoying long walks under the spectacularly gnarled limbs of the ubiquitous Live Oak trees – see pic – and the equally amazing long sweep of beautiful white sand beach. The paddling in the area’s marsh’s and meandering seagrass lined waterways is always a pleasure. Touring the remains of the Carnegie’s Dungeness mansion is just a bit of historical icing on the cake. I have done all this before in my 3 or 4 previous visits but really cannot get enough of it.

And this year, unlike last, the weather was incredibly cooperative. Calm winds, clear skies, cool nights and warm days leave little to complain about. The healthy and quite active no-see-um population would perhaps be one notable exception – particularly since they seem to be most active at cocktail hour. However, it was a wonderful week, made more so by the opportunity to once again enter “cruising mode”, a slower pace with less connection to the relatively meaningless than “real” life. With a steady stream of southbound cruisers in and out of the harbor each day, there was even some pleasant social time.

I am now in St. Mary’s, GA where I will enjoy another Cruiser’s Thanksgiving Potluck put on by the very friendly local boating community.

St. Augustine will be next where some boat parts will be waiting for me and the new bimini is completed and will be installed. This will bring KR’s project list under good (if admittedly temporary) control.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Comments
Vessel Name: Kelly Rae
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Hailing Port: Grand Lake, Colorado
Crew: Rich Simpson
About: Cee Cee the Sailor Dog