We were looking good for a Monday launch when some dummy managed to irredeemably strip the thread on the stuffing box. And the peril of hauling the boat on an island with almost no technical resources rapidly became apparent. We are now on hold waiting for a new stuffing box
and some specialist tools to effect the repair - at least a week's delay.....
There are a few upsides. We are doing a slow and careful job with the bottom paint, important if we stay onboard next summer and having accommodation close to the boat has allowed Janaki to do a major number on the interior varnish so we will be very pretty when we finally get to be a boat. I have also upgraded the stuffing box for a more manageable model, not a fancy dripless but a more flexible conventional system.
It has also been an eye opener for a possible sortie into the Pacific. We will need to be a lot more self-sufficient - without sinking the boat with too much 'just in case' stuff. It will not be an easy call.
We are going to take full day off tomorrow to catch the ferry over to Nevis to catch up with a few people and actually go for a swim - Bliss!