15 September 2019 | Raroia Atoll, Tuamotus Archipelago, French Polynesia
13 September 2019 | Raroia Atoll, Tuamotus Archipelago, French Polynesia
07 September 2019 | Raroia Atoll, Tuamotus Archipelago, French Polynesia
03 September 2019 | Raroia Atoll, Tuamotus Archipelago, French Polynesia
27 August 2019 | S Pacific Ocean
23 August 2019 | Nuku Hiva
20 August 2019 | Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia
13 August 2019 | On passage S. Pacific
08 August 2019 | On passage S. Pacific
30 July 2019 | Puerto Aroya, Galapagos
17 July 2019 | Isla San Christobal, Galapagos
13 July 2019 | San Christobal, Galapagos
09 July 2019 | Wreck Bay, San Christobal, Galapagos.
06 July 2019 | 200nm ENE of San Christobal, Galapagos
02 July 2019 | N Pacific Ocean
30 June 2019 | 200nm south of Panama City
24 June 2019 | Vista Mar Marina, Panama
02 June 2019 | Vista Mar Marina, Panama
23 May 2019 | Panama City
A Neat Trick to Remove a Flange
09 November 2017 | St Kitts
After spending several days trying to get hold of a flange puller that would fit my limited space. David of Indigo Yachts in Bassterre taught me a fine method as follows:
0. Liberally apply TD Blaster or your choice of penetrating oil and leave overnight
1. Get a socket that will fit over the gearbox shaft end but is smaller than the prop shaft
2. Get overlength bolts that can pull the two flanges together with the trapped socket between them. The bolts should be just long enough to load the nut. Too long will foul the gearbox case.
3. Apply some tefgel or other anti-siezing compound to the bolts, particularly if they are stainless
4. Gradually tighten the bolts to ease the flange off against the socket
5. When the bolts start to foul the gearbox case remove them and backfill with washers or oversized nuts to reduce the length
6. If the flanges close up before releasing get a second socket and align it with the first with a cardboard tube
7. Repeat this process until the flange comes free.
It took a while but this worked perfectly for me. Good enough that I will not carry a dedicated flange puller but I will secure the required bolts.
No items in this gallery.