The Best Laid Plans
04 March 2018 | Sint Maarten (again...)
And ours were never that..... Anyway we decided that the trip was in danger of being over before we were ready so maybe a year sailing round Europe first would be fun. The more we prepared for it the less fun it felt. The eastbound crossing is non-trivial, with a high probability of adverse conditions and doing the loop in one year was going to be a grueling amount of sea time with little time to stop and enjoy the experience. Over-wintering in Europe was not very appealing and extended the trip more than intended.
So - to cut a long ramble short, we are (sort of) back to plan A. We were hoping to be in Bonaire by February to allow time to do some diving then get to Guatemala for the summer. That is clearly not going to happen so we might spend a little more time in our favorite island of Martinique and head down to Bonaire/Curacao for the early part of the hurricane season. We can leave the boat there safely while we do some visiting. Then, insurance permitting, we will head on down to Cartahenia, Columbia and thence onto the San Blas islands in Panama. In the very unlikely event that a hurricane threatens to go that far southwest we can run to Bocos del Toro, Panama in less than a day from there.
This is a new plan so it will probably all change tomorrow. In some ways cruising confers great flexibility but, when you get down to it, there are significant constraints, hurricane seasons, unstable countries, piracy risk, adverse winds all have to go into the mix. Once all this is factored in choices are remarkably limited.
Anyway, we will mull this one over for a while and see if it sticks. There is a good weather window for Bonaire next week if we change our minds again......