Voyages of Liberte

26 December 2012
25 March 2012
25 March 2012
25 March 2012
25 March 2012
25 March 2012
25 March 2012
25 March 2012
03 March 2012
03 March 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012
27 February 2012

Leavin' La Paz

24 November 2009
After a few days anchored off the Malecon at La Paz, it's time to pull up the hook and explore north into the Sea of Cortez. Here in La Paz, the living is so good many cruisers have "swallowed the hook" and stayed here. We met a guy named Rainbow Hawk who came here on a boat in 1951 - and he's still here, holding court daily at his favorite outdoor restaurant, and feeding a pigeon who comes to him. When I introduced Rebecca, mi espousa, he pointed out the similarity between that word and "handcuffs." (he has two ex-Mrs. Rainbows somewhere). For the record, the First Mate of Liberte is anything but. I'm constantly impressed with Rebecca's cruising skills, from driving down waves on a night watch to turning out some amazing flavors from her ship's galley.

Our first night here, there was a grand fireworks show over the Malecon for a local school sports event. That was our chance to have dinner on the town as a sendoff to our crew Scout and Ginjer. Thanks for everything, guys - the rigging, the mast climbing, the driving, the good stories, great tunes, Spanish translation, etc. etc.

We've done some exploring and a couple of shopping trips on foot. David got his hair cut by some colorful locals at a place in someone's front living room, while their kids dogsat Sammy.

This morning, we got up to sunrise, paddled the kayaks ashore and a walk along the Malecon, then a breakfast of fresh tortillas, eggs with fresh herbs and juicy mango. Then a few boat and engine chores to make The Mistress happy. We're sitting in a little cafe under the palm trees with wireless, while someone fixes the showers.

We have been serenaded very loudly for a couple nights by a nearby place named "Pappas and Beer." Evidently, Pappa loves his tuba, because the horns have been muy fuerte until 5 or so every morning. Last night was a night off for the musicians and a blissful quiet has descended on Liberte. David was tempted to go and test out his trumpet embechure with the horn section.

Life is grand onboard Liberte. Here's to a hot shower, fish tacos for lunch, and a quiet anchorage tonight on Isla Partida.
Comments
Vessel Name: Liberte
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 361
Hailing Port: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
Crew: David and Rebecca Kilmer
About: We circumnavigated Vancouver Island in 2009 and then headed south "where the weather suits our clothes." We're cruising the warm waters in season, always interested in the next new port of call.
Extra: Here's where we are: http://goo.gl/uI4dST

Who: David and Rebecca Kilmer
Port: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA