Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Boat dogs have it ruff

29 October 2014 | Mill Creek Great Wicomico River
Sally its long pants and hat weather
We were up at first light to prep the boat to sail. It takes a while to go from dock mode to sail mode. Anything that might become a projectile must be securely stowed. Safety gear is brought into the cockpit along with binoculars, hand held VHF gloves etc. Lines need to be made ready to sail and everyone needs to have a bit to eat and of course coffee. We had no issues leaving the dock and pulled alongside the fuel dock to top off the tanks and pump out the holding tank. Our destination was Mill Creek on the Great Wicomico River. The amount of gain south wasn't great but this turned out to be a good decision. Winds were S/SW at 10 to 15 predicted. Since we are headed South that means the wind is going to be on just about on our nose. That is not a comfortable point of sail but not undoable. Getting down the Potomac was again a bumpy ride but on a broad reach we made reasonably decent speed and the tide was with us for most of the ride out. At the confluence of the Potomac and the bay the tide and current were opposed causing very confused seas. It was another washing machine kind of afternoon and again the waves were breaking the bow. When we got to the creek we were able to navigate the marks around the skinny water. A local fisherman was in the creek so we asked him about water depths. He kindly directed us to a spot with 11 ft of water and protected from the North winds. We are meeting the nicest people along the way. It was a beautiful spot. Once we anchored we attempted our first try at teaching India how to be a boat dog. Being a boat dog is a little rough when you are on the hook and there are no shore privileges. India is very well trained and would rather hold it forever than go "inside" . Being a boat dog means using a patch of "scented" carpet on the bow of the boat. Scott proceeded to take the said carpet (did I mention it was raining) and head to the bow with India on her leash armed with a baggie whose purpose need not be defined here. Well India being used to being on a dock hopping off and running up the dock to shore proceed to do just that. I can't remember what the exact expletive was that the captain used but India was rescued from the drink and pulled aboard very wet and very indignant. The exercise in boat training was futile but we kept trying off and on and finally she got the idea. Yes round one. I know this really isn't something for polite conversation but it is oh so necessary if you want to do any long haul stretches with your pet. We then enjoyed a quiet dinner, read a bit and toddled off to bed. Which once again was wet at the foot < le sigh> Whoo hoo we have knocked off a degree of latitude in the right direction! The picture is of the CSO wondering when she will get proper shore leave.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015