Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Sleigh Ride

12 December 2014 | Off the coast of Florida
Sally its getting warmer
Sunrise found us on the same tack we had been we would need to get south of Cape Canaveral before we could make the cut in to head for FT Pierce. There are considerable shoals and currents around the cape that we wanted to avoid. Paul's route had us between the Gulf Stream and the east coast. It worked beautifully. Again we spent the day chatting, reading , plotting our course and trying to stay upright in a world at a 20 degree angle. The wind was now off our aft starboard quarter so we were on a broad reach. Adjustments were made to the sails and a preventer rigged so there would be no accidental jibes. Artur was manning the helm the for the most part with occasional pokes from the crew. We were surfing the waves now with big seas reaching a steady speed of 6 knots. At noon we had approximately 80 miles before we reached Ft. Pierce which meant a night time entry into the inlet and harbor. Scott was not looking forward to that and neither was I. The pitch of the boat was such that we were rocking from side to side that made dinner prep all the more fun. I would set something down the boat would pitch and it would end up in Paul's berth. Oy what a time I had. I did manage to put together a nice spinach salad and hot roast beef sandwiches with au jus gravy. Julia Child would have been proud. We were just off Canaveral as sun set and we got to watch two cruise ships leave the port and pass in front of us. It was really cool to see the brightly lit ships go by. We were on the same watch schedule as before with the exception that as we got close to harbor all hands would be on deck to assist. I took the lea side berth aka port when my watch was over and still managed to fall out of bed. Good Grief I should be a poster girl for bruises when this trip is over. I did get some sleep. At about 1:00 AM Paul called us up on deck. Scott and he wrestled with the sails which were filled with salt getting them down and stowed. Once the sails were down we were under motor with about another mile or so to go before we reached the markers for the inlet. As we spotted the marks Paul took the helm and we all watched the channel for the next set of marks.. There was plenty of activity on shore and the lights from shore only added to the fun of trying to determine where the heck we were as we came into the harbor. At one point Paul exclaimed what is that as we came upon a boat anchored very near the channel not a bright move on that captain's part as we narrowly avoided it. We got through the inlet and into the turning basin the next challenge being finding the marina where we had reserved a dock. We had dock space reserved at Harbor Cove Marina which was north of the inlet in Taylor Creek. We needed to find the channel markers for the ICW and then the ones leading into Taylor Creek. Scott was on the bow with the spot which decided to fail at that point, Murphy's Law at its best. Doing what we could with a flashlight, an angel on our shoulder, waypoints in the chart plotter, and God's good grace we found our way to the marina. We tied up at the front face dock behind a couple of other boats.. Yee Haw we had made it. Paul got out and kissed the dock! First order after getting tied us was to give India shore leave (the boat dog business is still a work in progress). Let's just say there is more laundry to be done and leave it at that. Paul went to bed and collapsed, Scott and I had a celebratory cocktail and then fell into bed ourselves. We were all exhausted but in a good way the trip was rousing success and we are in FLORIDA YEAH!!!! The picture was taken by Paul the following morning before he left.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015