Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Harbornating is a fine thing to do

25 January 2015 | Boot Key Harboer
Sally OMG its cold at 66 LOL!
The wind was blowing stink all night so we had the anchor alarm set and Scott was out of bed multiple times to check that we had not dragged. During the night the boat that was aground managed to get off and reset its anchor but another two dragged into the shallows and went aground sometime after. The amount of room to anchor and the number of boats attempting to do so make for a very crowded field and shortened scope for most of the boats. A recipe for incidents which keeps everyone vigilent. The wind had clocked during the night to directly out of the North bringing with it cold temperatures for this part of the country. The temps were in the high 50's at sunrise. I know our Northern friends will be playing the worlds smallest violin for us at the idea of 57 being cold this time of year. We hunkered in under our covers until well past 7 AM. Late for us. The sun was out though and the sky a glorious shade of blue. First task of the day was to defrost the fridge and take an inventory stock. While I was defrosting the fridge Scott took India in for shore leave. At 9:00 every day the cruisers net is on the VHF on Channel 68. This is really cool, there appears to be a different moderator each day. It starts with a bit of history on what happened on this day in the past then moves on to wish anyone having a birthday a Happy Birthday and lists any famous persons who share that birthday. This is followed by a welcome to new arrivals asking them to list their boat name, names of the crew and a little bit about their travels. Following that they ask for anyone who is leaving to identify themselves and where they are off to, usually the Bahamas from here this time of year. That part of the transmission has been quiet since we arrived the winds have not been favorable for a Bahamas crossing. Next are announcements for example today there would be a softball game at 2:00 in the park and if you wished to join in just show up. There is a movie tonight at the Marina's tiki hut bring your own chair. Following announcements there is a time for those in the harbor who need assistance with something, this is followed by a audio Craig's list of buy sell, trade or give away and finally the days trivia questions. It's fun to listen to and you get to know a bit about folks in the harbor. I listened to it while I cleaned out the fridge and put it back together. More boat chores followed with bed making, breakfast and general clean up. We took the dingy in for showers shortly after noon and brought our sneakers for a walk south to explore the area. We found the West Marine a mile or so away and of course had to drop a few dollars there. Scott had noticed these nifty little collapsible solar lights on some of the other boats in the harbor and of course we had to get one of those along with a 12 volt socket to replace the outdated one we have, a project for Sally. We continued to walk with the goal of getting to the seven mile bridge but it soon became apparent that this was farther than either of us was willing to attempt right then. We turned around and found ourselves attracted to a beach shake restaurant called Porgys where we had a good nosh ruining our dinner but that was okay. Back at the dock we saw the resident manatees swimming in the canal. They are such funny looking creatures and gentle as can be. We filled our water jugs and returned to the boat. The sun is just getting ready to set, Scott is reading and I am working on the blog. The winds have calmed down but the forecast is for them to start blowing hard again tomorrow. We will stay aboard to make sure LR stays put on her anchor. Right now it looks like it may be a week or longer before we can get a mooring. We need no wind out of the North for folks to make the jump to the Bahamas. As long as the Bad Boy Bruce holds we have no problem being on the hook. That's the CSO catching up after night duty on the way here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015