Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Windy Harbor

26 January 2015 | Marathon FL
Sally very windy, sunny and cool
To all of you who are going to be affected by this tremendous winter storm. Stay warm and safe we will be thinking of you. I can't say we are missing the weather but we do have concerns for those who have to make their way out in such challenging conditions. We know a thing or two about those.
The wind quieted during the night which allowed for a decent night's sleep. We were up early to get to shore before they picked up again. I had a good size bag of laundry to catch up on and wanted to get to the laundry room before the masses arrived. You can imagine with 300 plus boats here the laundry room is busy. There are 8 washers and dryers and the room gets backed up quickly. With the wind building getting the clean laundry back dry could be an issue it can be a very wet ride in the dingy on a windy day. I brought the Ipad and phone with me so I could use the Marina's wi-fi while I waited. The wi-fi connection doesn't reach out into the harbor. We brought India in for morning shore leave, she had been sick during the night. We're not sure why seems like every 4 weeks or so she has a bad night. It doesn't seem to bother her nearly as much as us. The ride over wasn't bad it takes about 15 minutes to get from where we are anchored to the marina dingy dock. We pulled in off loaded India, the wash and ourselves. It was buys already even at the early hour. I was lucky in that there were three open machines just what I needed. With the clothes washing I settled in with the tablet at one of the tables with a plug (also very popular and somewhat hard to come by) and settled in to watch last two episodes of this season's Downton Abbey. I miss the television, the captain not so much he is content to read.. I was having a ball with the goings on both upstairs and down, striking up a conversation with the gentleman seated across from me who was also a Downton fan. Scott had returned to the boat with India. Once I had finished the laundry I texted him to come collect the laundry and me. Seems the wind had already picked up considerably and in the confused seas while saving his cell phone he lost his key card for the facilities overboard. We stopped at the front desk to get him a new one and also gave them the numbers for our dingy which we had not had when we first checked in. Scott warned me it was going to be a wet choppy ride and he was right. The winds had been building as promised and were now up to about 20 knots. I had brought dry bags to put the laundry in which worked really well. We got it back if not ourselves totally dry. The remainder of the day will be spent on the boat, Scott was to go to Boynton with Deb and George who were headed north after their brief stay on Long Key but he was afraid to leave Light Reach. If she should drag anchor it would take two of us to get it reset without bumping in to anyone or anything. Right now the winds are still building and we are swinging quite a bit. The day is not cold but not warm with the wind coming out of the N/NW. Right now we are boat bound until they settle down sometime tomorrow afternoon if predictions hold. Todays picture was taken on Kent Island last summer on a bike ride. Not all the beautiful beaches are in the Islands.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015