Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Another day on the Hook

27 January 2015 | Marathon FL
Sally sunny, a bit cool but no snow
I'm going to attempt to keep the blog up to date while we are here in Marathon, not sure how exciting it will be once things settle into a routine. The winds continued to blow hard most of the night and multiple anchor checks were done. The wind did finally settle on one direction for the most part and we stopped swirling back and forth across the anchorage. By the time we had finished morning coffee it they had reduced enough that the CSO was granted a shore leave. She must have been anxious because she nearly leapt into the dingy from the side of the boat which is a good 4 to 5 foot drop. Good thing she had her life jacket on and I snagged the handle before she made that leap of faith! Traveling through the mooring field is interesting with so many boats here there is always something to look at and comment upon. I was surprised to see a couple of the anchored boats rafted with others. That's a lot to ask of your anchor and rode when there is as much wind as we have had the past few days. After shore leave we returned to the boat for breakfast and morning chores. There is always something that needs to be picked up, cleaned and put away. And for morning sport there is always berth wrestling otherwise known as making the bed that is always good for a good knock to the noggin. It is chilly here again today with temps in the high 60's making for cool transits on the water. I'm eager to try out my inflatable kayak but am waiting for some warmer weather. Sheesh what a wimp I have become! We did see some pictures of the storm up North, glad we missed it although it would make for some great skiing. There are not many things we miss from up home other than family, but skiing is one for me not so much for the Captain.
We were low on milk and totally out of eggs so a provision trip was in order. One of the nice things about being in Marathon as opposed to the Bahamas is the availability of all the things we are used to finding in the supermarket and at fairly reasonable prices. Or maybe that is a downside when it comes to your waistline. We also needed to stop at the Home Depot for a drill bit, siphon hose for the water tanks and bits and pieces to mount the solar light on the dingy. The dingy is required to have a white light on the stern when traveling after dark. We have a battery operated one but Scott saw other dinghies with this solar set up which was just the ticket so on his project list is to install one on ours. We are rarely off the boat after dark but on the occasion we are this will meet the requirements without using battery power. The trek to both stores is probably a bit over a mile and a half or so. We hauled out the backpacks and our drag behind cart, loaded up the dinghy and headed out. We made our way to the grocery store dodging bicycles there and back. On our way back we stopped at a little restaurant that advertises on the Cruisers Net and had a wonderful lunch great pulled pork sandwiches and ran into the folks from the boat behind us in the anchorage. We have been shouting back and forth at each other since we dropped the hook assessing weather conditions, plans for the day etc. They were sailors who have just converted to a trawler and have been out for a few years. It was nice getting to know them better, they are great fans of India. The walk felt good and gave our legs a bit of needed stretching. Once we get more settled and I can get my kayak out I hope to start running again, I really miss it. We managed to haul our booty back to the boat and got it stowed. We are now in good shape provision wise for a while. Right now Scott is reading, I'm working on the blog, the engine is running so I can have some hot water tonight. We have to heat it in the tea kettle when we are not connected to shore power or the motor has not been run. Every once in a while it's nice to have it available out of the tap. Shortly it will be time to start supper and watch the sunset. Another day on the little vessel Light Reach draws to a close and all is well. The picture is sunrise off the Indian Anchorage on our way to Marathon.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015