Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Shark Week - A visit from friends

13 July 2015 | Cocoa Beach FL
Sally - some like it hot
LOL No I am not talking about our lawyer friends !

One of the guys that Scott worked with for years was in Florida for a vacation so we made plans to meet up with them somewhere in the middle which turned out to be Cocoa Beach. We headed up to Cocoa Beach for a wonderful day connecting with a good friend and meeting his wife for the first time. I had picked out the Cocoa Beach pier to meet. None of us had been there so really did not know what to expect, as it turned out its is quite a tourist trap. LOL it definitely has a fun vibe. The pier extends out into the ocean with a number of shops and restaurants. Beach vendors rent out chairs, umbrellas and beach toys. The beach was quite crowded with families enjoying the water. We met Ken and Jennifer at the end of the pier, after introductions we walked the length of the pier perusing the restaurants to find one for lunch. It was beastly hot as it has been for the past month so we opted for the place with ac. Over a nice lunch of grilled mahi salad for three of us and a burger for one,( Can you guess who had the burger ? LOL) Scott and Ken caught up and Jennifer and I got to know one another a bit. We managed to stretch lunch into a 3 hour experience. The restaurant sat out over the water with a great view of the beach which was its own form of entertainment. South Florida, actually the whole east coast, is experiencing an influx of sharks this summer. While we were enjoying lunch there were several incidences of shark sightings as close as 5 feet off the shore. Each time they were sighted the swimmers were called in. I'm not sure how they were determining it was safe to return to the water but the guards did allow folks back in after a bit. This happened several times during the four hour period we were there. Why anyone would *want* to go back in the water after the first time sharks were sighted in the area is beyond me but it didn't deter the vacation goers. We opted not to go wading while we were there. I like my appendages right where they are thank you very much! Reluctantly we parted after a wonderful visit and went our separate ways. Alas we took no photos but made memories all the same of a great day.
The picture is of Light Reach at the dock. Note her sails and canvas are off for the "season"

Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015