Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Fresh Produce is the best

20 August 2015
Coffee was out on the porch this morning. It reminded both of us so much of being on the boat and how we have our coffee in the cockpit. Funny how the water just takes the stress out of you just watching the waves lap the shore and observing life around you as the world wakes up for its day is amazing. The Finger Lakes region of New York are home to a large Mennonite population who have acquired many of the farms in the area. They began to move here in the early 80's from Pennsylvania, Ohio and other states where there wasn't much available farm land for their growing families. They are now a significant segment of the population in the area. It's not unusual to see their horse and buggies traveling the country roads and streets in town. The local hardware even has parking spots designated just for their buggies and four legged friends. They make wonderful neighbors. Many of them have small businesses at their farms selling produce, flower, eggs etc. Abbie stopped by to take me out produce shopping. First stop was Ester's where my mother preferred to get her produce. We picked out some lovely never seen the back of a semi truck veggies that you know were grown in the very soil where you stood. Wonderful tomatoes, wax beans, a water melon oh my Marvelous ! As a kid growing up on a farm fresh veggies were just a given. Those are the parts of living here I had almost forgotten about. People who think of New York as only "the city" and Long Island and Westchester are missing soooo much! Maybe it is better to keep it our secret though Ha. Traveling to Ester's market took us past my Grandmothers old house and down roads I haven't seen in years. It did make me a bit nostalgic I have a feeling that is going to happen a lot in the time that we are here. Next up we went to the Oak Hill Bulk Foods store, also run by Mennonite families. They have a small cafe along with a grocery and deli where you can get as assortment of staples for baking, cheeses, pies etc. We perused the shelves and picked up a few items you don't see in the mass market grocery. We then headed to the peach lady, another Mennonite family whose peaches are particularly tasty and again picked on the premises. I could become a vegan at this rate! Ha wouldn't the Captain love that .... carnivore that he is.
It was a warm sunny day after our shopping we returned to the cottage put away our purchases and took a swim. Jess had texted me earlier in the day about a forgotten swim suit that she would need before weeks end. We had made arrangements to meet Craig at a half way point in Canandaigua. We hopped into the car and drove over, while there we visited Wegmans where we picked up some fish for dinner that night. The picture is the sunrise over Keuka, we are on the east side which means our seeing the sunrise is pretty limited. Pretty though don't you agree?
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015