Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Gone to the dogs and that's a good thing

04 April 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
Sally / raining cats, dogs and a few parrots too
We took India in for her surgery March 30. The procedure was uneventful although they did keep her overnight and she seems to be recovering nicely.
The two days prior to her operation, just after I jinxed it by saying she was doing well, she fell back into her pattern of digestive distress. She was pretty dehydrated so they put her on an IV and kept her for the night. We picked her up late in the morning on the 31st with yet another round of medications. Pain pills for the surgery, antibiotics, more Pepcid for the stomach and a new food that is for skin and food allergies. The little carrier we bought to get her on and off the boat works pretty w ell but she is not a fan and has already devised a way to defeat it, escaping with great ease. She has a "CONE OF SHAME" that she has to wear all the time with the exception of meals. The cone doesn't exactly fit in the carrier so her head is free and with a little wiggling she can get the zippers open. It's not too bad getting her into the dingy but the return trip up to the mother ship is a bit dicey.
She has become quite the celebrity in the Marina with everyone making a fuss of her. We take her in right after getting things straightened away on the boat and breakfast and spend the day in the Marina community center. Much easier than multiple trips to the boat and back. With my IPad, book, and phone for me and a cushion, water bowl and her carrier for her we take up residence at one of the tables where India holds court. LOL We truly are getting to know folks this year. At the end of the day before the Marina closes we gather up our stuff take a final walk and head back to LR. Scott has been doing most of the errands, we're still watching our friends boat so he has been going over and checking her each day. He's been to the store to get provisions a couple of times and spells me with India to give me breaks. Today we did laundry so he played nurse while I did the huge sack of clothes. We had rain first thing this morning but got a break long enough to get it to the washing room. After that all heck broke loose and it poured trapping me in the laundry center and him in the community room. During one of the short intervals he managed to get to me and lug the clean clothes to the community room where we were stuck waiting on a window long enough to get back to the boat with the clothes and us still dry. We made it with minimal wetness to us and the clean clothes.
India returns to the vet on the 14th, who BTW has called several times to inquire as to how she is doing, impressive. The analysis of the stone will take 18 business days so it will be past mid April before we have that result. She is still on too many meds to say if the digestive issues have been addressed sufficiently by the new diet and the surgery. We suspect the answer to that is no but hope for the best. If that is not resolved they want to do an ultrasound. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
We did up the mooring for another month so we are paid through April. We haven't made any firm plans for where we will put Light Reach after we leave here toying with a couple of ideas. We are planning to head North by auto to visit family early July time frame. We still have some things to do here in Marathon. We haven't been to the beach yet this year how has that happened??
Picture of India in her transport carrier.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015