Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Drawing to a close

31 December 2016 | Boot Key Harbor ball P2
Sally - quiet and reminiscent
Another year is coming to a close, and I pause to reflect on 2016. Certainly it was not the year we expected but as they say life is what happens when you make other plans. We find ourselves tonight in the same harbor where we watched 2016 begin. It's a comfortable place, familiar and warm, a safe harbor.
I think this year could be dedicated to family and friends. We met many other cruisers and our boat card pile continues to grow. Some we spent only a few days with as they traveled on, others, we see regularly and keep in touch even when our travels part paths. All have reinforced the fact that cruising is indeed a community. I hold the belief that family is with us from cradle to grave, friends come and go in our lives but both stay in our hearts forever.
I know many people are happy to see this year come to an end. The comments on social media are evidence of that. It was a year of upheaval in our political system, that remains to be played out, would that I had a crystal ball.
The world saw the deaths of several prominent people, and closer to home we said good bye to Stacy and Erin, both much too young. We continue to pray for health and recovery for other family members and friends. We think of them often.
For us, the year started pretty benignly with lots of activities at the Marina and general boat life keeping us busy. Our cruising plan of heading to the Bahamas were put the kibosh on when India fell ill in February. Four months and a surgery later our girl was doing better but still vastly underweight. She ends the year back in form and we hope to keep her that way. The silver lining in that cloud was finding Dr. Courtney who is just a gem of a vet and a wonderful caring person.
June found us back at the condo and putting the boat on the hard in Stuart. We made it through the skinny waters of the crossroads and up the St Lucie River, traveling unfamiliar territory successfully. That was a grand confidence booster. With Light Reach secured on the hard, we packed up the Miata and headed North. Spending time visiting with friends on our way north and seeing some of the country we had never before explored was deligtful. And we got to spend 6 glorious weeks with our sweet and sassy granddaughters, daughter and son in law. Visits with siblings and friends in Canada were squeezed in the mix. All too soon it was September and the girls were headed back to school and us down South, seeing more friends along the way.
Fall brought us back up the St Lucie for preparation and repairs for the season. We met more great folks along the way. With shiny new electronics and a twinkle in our eye we made our way back to where we are now to end the year.

The Picture is the last sunset of 2016 taken from the cockpit of S/V Light Reach.

We wish all of you a healthy and Happy New Year.

We'll tak a cup o'kindness yet
For auld lang syne
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015