Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

On the hook at Big Majors

20 April 2017
Sally Brilliant Sunshine
Sorry for the blasts of posts . I've been writing as we go along but this is the first time I've had reliable signal to post them.

We never got off the boat yesterday it was just too kicked up to want to take the dingy out. After updating the blog I made bread. I was pleased with the result. Scott did a few boat chores and read.

We had a message from Dancin Downwind this morning, Sue and Roger are heading back to the states during this weather window. There is a good window for heading west right now. They should be in St. Augustine sometime on Friday.

This morning, after listening to Chris Parker and having breakfast, we put on our doesn't matter if we get wet clothes and headed into shore to get some water and dispose of trash. We hadn't been able to get rid of any trash since Nassau. There is supposed to be a free dump within walking distance of the yacht club but we haven't found it. The yacht club will take it for a fee (6.25/bag). After 12 days we had a pretty good size bag so we figured it would be worth the cost to get it off the boat. We had that bag bulging!

On our way in we stopped by and chatted with ElizaBear, Flying Colors and Izula. We had met ElizaBear in Marathon, Flying Colors at Shroud Cay and Izula has been with us off and on since leaving Marathon. It was nice to talk to some fellow cruisers and we may meet on Pirate beach for cocktails and nibbles later this afternoon.

Once ashore we got rid of the trash and set out to find the third grocery store. It was a bit farther down the road near the airport. There was a plane disembarking passengers as we walked by, a surprising number of people were on the small plane. We found Isle grocery where I bought a couple of tomatoes and we inquired on the price of renting a golf cart. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility but we will have to think on it. We walked the back road not really sure where we were but with the Batelco tower in sight we knew we weren't too far from town. It was nice to get some exercise and stretch our legs off the boat.

We decided to duck into the yacht club bar for a cold one and shared a plate of chicken wings for lunch. Yum not Buffalo style but deep fried like my Mom used to make. Scott and my brother swear that my Mother made the best fried chicken on earth. The place was bustling with traffic. For a tiny out island it is remarkably busy here.

After enjoying the ambience we went to the dock office to pay for our water. RO water is 50 cents a gallon. We have been able to keep our drinking water supply topped up. Not having to drink it from the boats tanks gives me peace of mind. I'm sure the water in the tanks is fine but I would rather not drink it if possible. They were having all kinds of issues with the computer system. When the dock master found out we only wanted 9 gallons, she told us to just go take it as Lord only knew when the register would be back in commission. Very nice of her.

The dingy beach was crowded with all manner of dingies both large and small. Scott maneuvered us around expertly and we headed back across the cut to the boat. Tomorrow will go in for diesel fuel. It is supposed to be lighter winds tomorrow. We will likely be here until Tuesday as winds are supposed to clock and bring a front through Sunday to Monday with squalls. We want to go to Blackpoint settlement from here but there is no rush to get there.

The picture is the dingy beach in front of the yacht club.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015