Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Back at Big Majors Spot

29 April 2017
Sally
Happy Birthday Curtis, hope you have an excellent birthday.
There is another blow coming in with winds building through today and tomorrow backing off on Monday afternoon. Not a huge one but winds expected in the 25 to 30 knot range. After listening to Chris Parker we decided we would take the opportunity with relatively calm winds our of the South to move back to Big Majors spot. While we enjoyed Black Point, neither one of us is a fan of the dingy dock. There really isn't a good place to beach land your dingy and the tides make getting in and out of the dingy a challenge at the dock.
I did want to get ashore before we left to deposit a bag of trash and take advantage of the free RO water to fill our drinking jugs. After breakfast of delicious Bahamian Coconut bread we piled into the dingy and headed to shore. As luck would have it, the water spigot had been broken. Darn! Apparently the kids had been playing with it over the Easter holiday and broke off the tap. It had been shut off to await repair, or not, this is the islands. Without being a priority only the Lord knows if it will ever be repaired. We returned with our jugs empty.
On our way back we stopped to say good bye to Now or Never. They will be going a bit farther south while we are heading (very slowly) back north. We may see them in Stuart this summer as they have a home there.
It takes a bit of prep to get underway, hoisting up the dingy and motor, stowing everything, getting the instruments and cockpit ready and closing up down below. We hoisted anchor at 11:05 and set off on our 9nm trek. It was a run dead downwind to start followed by a broad reach to Big Majors. Winds were in the mid teens and there were white caps and chop on the banks. It was a great sail since we were going in the right direction. We had the anchor down in Big Major by 13:35. Nice.
There were a significant number of boats in the harbor and several mini cruise ships (aka Mega-yachts). We found a place a bit farther in than last time (thank you Captain for honoring my request) and dropped the hook.
We deployed the dingy right away since the winds would be increasing and it's loads easier to get it off the bow in lower winds. We opted to spend the remainder of the day on board. I took advantage of the hot water to do some cleaning. Scott took a nap. We both indulged in hot showers. Such a luxery! We have no hot water unless we have been running the engine. If we want hot water when we are on the hook we heat it on the stove. It isn't as bad as it sounds, the water in the tanks isn't frigid.
I counted 30 boats in the anchorage before we toodled off to bed for the night.
The winds have picked up some but we are tucked in nicely. Plans for later include going ashore. The cell service has been up and down since our arrival. Right now we are making some much needed water, lowered our supply considerably yesterday! I'm catching up with the blog and computer stuff. And that's about all the excitement we want on Light Reach.
The picture is the crew from Now or Never and of course the captain of Light Reach. It was taken on the beach at Blackpoint.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015