Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Settling into Stuart

04 December 2017 | Sunset Bay Marina, Stuart Fl
Sally raining yet again
I promised myself that I would get this blog updated but it has been a struggle finding the time. I’d like to say I was spending the time doing something like finding a cure for all the world’s woes, but the truth of it is I’ve mostly been putzing about.
We are getting settled into a routine on the boat. We bounce around quite a bit on the mooring. There is a swift current in the river that changes with the tide. That, combined with the fact that the mooring field is directly off the part of the ICW that crosses Lake Okeechobee which generates quite a bit of boat traffic, (wakes) we rock and roll. The boats are quite close together on the moorings which gets interesting when there is no wind. We all swing in different directions in the current and sometimes get a little up close and personal. We took a mooring close to the channel for Frasier creek that gives us a bit more swing room just for that reason. There are still open moorings for boats up to 37 feet but the large boat moorings are all full. The docks are all full too, with mostly very large boats. We enjoy walking the docks and looking up at them. We’ve also had quite a bit of rain which means pumping out the dingy on a regular basis. Scott’s been chasing some leaks that are just plain annoying.
Our days start with coffee in the cockpit, breakfast, tidying up the boat and then heading to shore to drop garbage and take care of errands. Having the car here is wonderful. The area has every imaginable amenity within an easy drive. Scott did put my bike together and I’ve been our riding. The traffic is horrendous for cyclists, I’m researching routes that are a bit less congested. I have run a few times and we’ve both walked into the downtown historic district via the river walk. Downtown Stuart is full of quaint shops and restaurants and an easy walk from the marina. I spent small business Saturday perusing the shops which was fun.
This past Saturday was the Marina’s monthly pot luck. A great showing of folks with lots of delicious food. Everyone brings their own entrée to grill and a dish to pass. The marina provides a gigantic gas grill and the table service. It was dark before the dinner started and we didn’t have much light so it was a mystery meal in more ways than one! It’s a totally different experience from Marathon but both are wonderful. Last night they provided pizza and a movie for us all. Beautiful big screen and a warm fire pit. We skipped this one, it didn’t start until 7 and we figured we’d be asleep before the movie ended. Sources confirm it was well attended by others.
Today is a rainy one and I’m determined to update the blog and the captain has requested a coffee cake so time to get at it.
The picture was taken from the park that is shoreside next to the mooring field. There is a nice boardwalk there. Stuart has loads of little parks. You can see Light Reach and Dancin Down Wind posing between the trees.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015