Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Checking out summer storage

20 March 2018 | Sunset Bay Marina, Stuart Fl
We took a road trip up to Titusville today to check out a couple of yacht yards and see Terry. He has Lee Sea Ann on a mooring at the city marina. She is also up for sale. We wanted to check the yard where he plans to haul her to see if they have room for us and if so how much it would be to store Light Reach there this summer. As we were pulling up to the marina Terry rode up on his bike with Anchor, good timing.. He showed us around the yard (Westland Marina) and introduced us to the manager. She told us they had no room in the yard but would put us on a wait list. As it turns out the yard is not much less than where we have been and Scott didn’t like its exposure to the East. Not much protection in a hard blow. After our tour we headed out to lunch with Terry. He’s gotten a couple of nibbles on the boat but nothing concrete. He hopes to sell her before he heads back north for the summer. Terry captains a boat on Seneca Lake that does 2 hour tourist tours and has to be north by mid-May. The boat will be hauled out the first part of April when he will do some shore side work on her. But he isn’t giving up sailing his own boat and has boat a smaller Tayana which he has up north. We are still holding out to perhaps join him in the Bahamas next year. He might bring the Tayana south or if Lee Sea Ann doesn’t sell he may take her. Only time, opportunity and cooperative weather will give us the answer to that question.
After saying our good-byes to Terry and Anchor we drove out to Merrit Island to check out the Harbor Town Marina on the Canaveral canal as a possible summer storage spot. Lovely yard but also a waiting list and ouch expensive. We were rather surprised by that considering you have to go through a lift bridge and a lock to get to it. We had rather hoped it would be less expensive because of the hassle of getting to it, Ha we were wrong. So we continue to research options for where Light Reach will spend the summer. On our way back we got pelted with hail, heavy rain and wind which was headed toward Stuart on a southeast track. We managed to out run it in the car and get back to the marina before it hit. We hustled to the dingy and out to the boat just before it hit. We didn’t get hammered nearly as bad as Titusville. Poor Terry got stranded with Anchor in the van for two hours! We’ve been having a series of fronts come through every 6 to 8 days which means battening down the hatches and doubling the lines. When the wind blows out of the northwest the mooring field is subject to loads of rock and roll.

The picture is of our new Grand Dog, Penny all decked out for St Paddy’s day
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015