Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Happy Wandering

16 September 2018 | Chenango Valley
Sally
We pulled up stakes from Keuka Lake (pun intended) on Friday Sept 14 and headed downstate to the Binghamton area and Chenango Valley State Park for five nights. Neither of us had been to this park previously and it turned out to be a great choice. All of NY's parks are excellent. Some offer more amenities than others but there is plenty to keep a nature lover busy at any of them. This park has a golf course in its boundaries as well as hiking trails, a swimming area and the campground. The sites here were closer together than at Keuka and Gilbert with much less grass, actually no gras,s and wooded. Sites with electric, which we need for Scott's C-Pap, tend to be more geared for RV's and the site was hard packed dirt and gravel. Without having been to a park it's a gamble picking a site from the reservation page. We scoped the site out to pick a spot to pitch the tent. We'd had a lot of rain while we were at Keuka. Our new tent held up wonderfully well keeping us dry. However we had placed the tent in a low spot on the site and the water puddled up beneath it. Messy to say the least and something we hoped to avoid at this campground. We also wanted to avoid the gravel as much as possible.
With camp set up we settled in and watched the park fill up for the weekend. There were a number of families traveling together with loads of children. I was surprised as I had thought camping might have fallen out of favor with the younger generation. If you factor in the cost of a trailer and towing vehicle or motorhome it is not inexpensive. We saw some impressive rigs in our travels. The kids were having a grand time and we enjoyed watching them. The second morning we were there Scott woke up with a rash on his arm and stomach that looked peculiarly like poison ivy. Peculiar, because he has never been susceptible to it. He had been gathering some kindling from the wooded area around our site and I suspect that's where he might have come in contact with it. I had some calamine lotion with us but that didn't seem to do anything for the itch. To say the least he wasn't happy. He was already dealing with a sore shoulder that would prevent him from taking advantage of the golf course,which BTW was gorgeous! We drove into the nearby town and bought some ivy wash and cream that seemed to be more effective. We bought our firewood from that point on.
The picture if of the golf course in Chenango Valley.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015