Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

05 November 2018 | Boynton Beach FL
Sally
The month of October will be spent getting ready to head out in November. Both of us need to see our doc, get eyes examined and take care of yearly medical junk. Neither of us are looking forward to that and will be happy to have it behind us.
Once we got settled into the condo we took a trip up to Indiantown to check on Light Reach. She was and is utterly filthy! Neither of us could believe the dirt. The teak that we had so meticulously cleaned and oiled was covered with black spots. The decks were covered with the remains of the blue tarp that we had covered the dingy with a major YUCK! We had chosen this supposedly wonderful tarp that had a soft lining to cover the dingy. Unbeknown to us this lining had ZERO UV resistance, REALLY???? It’s a tarp isn’t it supposed to be used outside?!? The lining had melted all over the decks creating a G__ Awful mess. There is no water or electricity in the storage yard so this mess will have to wait until we can get her in the water and to a dock. Scott found out from one of the other boaters that the black which is also all over the deck and cockpit, comes from ash that is created when they burn the sugar cane fields that surround Lake Okachobee. If you are a Floridian you know about the controversy over the sugar cane, algae blooms and the mess that is that poor lake. It is effing unbelievable. Looks like I will be scrubbing and oiling teak again this fall. I hope to be able to make some covers for the teak over the winter that we can use next summer. We really like the marina and had we any idea about the sugar cane burning we’d have covered the teak this summer. Live and learn.

Over the month we’ve made an additional three trips up to the marina. We schlepped all the stuff we’d taken off last spring back to the boat and loaded it back on. We’ve got a launch date set for November 7 with a two day reservation at Indiantown’s dock. That will give us time to make sure she’s sea worthy, provision, and hopefully get some of the grime off Light Reach’s decks. It’s been hot and humid the past month so it won’t be comfortable work. We’ll get as much done as possible before leaving the dock with its plentiful water and electricity.
The plan is to move her to Stuart and pick up a mooring at Sunset Bay for a week or two. We need to make sure all systems are go and bend on the sails before we get too far from shore. We also need to close up the condo and put the car in storage. Right now it looks as if we are heading to Marathon for the winter. All plans subject to change.
The picture is of the campsite in North Carolina, the boat was too depressing to photograph.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015