Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Locking thru

07 January 2020 | Underway to Stuart
Sally | Calm
We were both up before light, that happens when you are anticipating a voyage, even a short one. We got the boat straightened, had coffee and made preparations to leave. A little bit before 8:00 Scott unhooked the shore power and I got out the gear for traveling. The St Lucie lock requires you to wear a life jacket while locking through which was our first order of the day after leaving the dock. I dug out our harness style gear along with gloves to handle the lock lines. The weather was perfect almost no wind and dead calm. After saying good byes to our fellow boaters we slipped the lines, Tom guided us back from the dock as Scott put us in reverse. Easy peasy and that is not always the case! Thank you Tom!
I hailed the lock keeper to request an east bound locking. He needed to bring the lock level up so we waited the 10 to 15 minutes it took to fill the lock and open the gates. We slooooowly entered the lock, We must have seemed a little timid coming in because the lock keeper asked Scott if he was afraid. To which her replied Yes. It is a bit intimidating, Light Reach is slippery on any given day and getting her stopped can be a challenge. We had no real issues and soon had the lock lines around the cleats on the Starboard side. I was forward Scott aft and w tended the lines as we slowly lowered the 12 ft to the St Lucie river. Once lowered the east side gates were opened, we returned the lines to the lock keeper and made our way out. Total locking time was approximately 18 minutes from entry to exit.
It was a beautiful day to travel the river was calm and the sun was shining. The trip from the lock was unusually quiet. We passed only one sailboat headed west and one fishing boat, nice! As we approached the mooring field with binoculars out we could see it was very full. After a bit of searching we did locate an open mooring. Scott motored us right up on it and between the two of us we got a line through. We were both excited that we were able to get one as neither one of us really wanted to hassle with anchoring. This section of the river can be pretty rough no matter what direction the wind and having to watch an anchor did not appeal to either of us.
Once we got the mooring set up properly with lines Scott started preppeing the dingy. We needed to get her pumped up and off the front deck and into the water. We use a winch on the mast and one of the halyards to accomplish this task. Scott hauled had her up while I maneuvered her over the life lines, just then the winch slipped and she went crashing into the water. No injuries except to pride and the only concern was had we damaged the dingy to the point she was taking on water.
Scott hopped down in and bailed her out and we waited. Dodged that one she was fine had only scooped some in as she landed which was thankfully right side to.
Getting the motor on went much smoother and we loaded the necessary gas, documentation and safety gear to make her legal. We climbed in and were off to the marina office to make the mother ship a registered guest of the facility. We did sign up for a month. It's more economical to do that and with the lack of available mooring spots the bird in the hand falls into play. The weather hasn't been all that cooperative for Bahama's crossings and with Dorian wiping out the Abacos a number of folks are deciding to stay in the states this year.
I stayed behind at the marina while Scott Ubered back to the lock to pick up our car. That worked out perfectly and to cap our great day he found a parking spot. With the car taken care of we dinghyed back to the boat and settled the rest of the boat.
The picture shows just how calm our start to the day was. This was taken just after we left the lock.
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015