It's done, we hope
20 February 2020 | Stuart
Sally | Humid and warm
Yahoo we have finished the enclosure. We've been working the past five days attaching the remainder of the fasteners. Scott did the ones that attach to the bimini at the condo which worked well because we could spread the pieces out. We didn't dare to try to attach the sides there because of the bimini frame. It was a ton of labor intensive work to fit the sides. Fastener by fastener attaching the panels, figuring out where to place the next fastnener, take the panels back down and put the fastner into the material, repeat. The sunbrella is most unforgiving to work with, hard to penetrate with hand tools. Poor Scott's fingers and hands were sore at the end of each day of fightning with the primitive method of installing them.
We did get all six panels attached and made fast. It isn't perfect but I didn't expect it would be since I didn't pattern it like we did the Dodger. Our purpose was more to give us a dry and wind free cockpit when we are not traveling. I suspect we might be able to use it underway when motoring, but not under sail, too much windage and the decks aren't readily accessible.
Our first couple of nights use of it were great. We were able to eat dinner in the cockpit and I wasn't wrapped up in a blanket. I have really lost my Northern blood! I think we are going to enjoy it. We have yet to give it the rain test. I'm sure that will come in no time.
The picture is the captain sweating away at adding twist lock fasteners. Not the best focus but you get the gist.