Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Head Aches

29 February 2020 | Stuart Fl
Sally | Blowing like stink
As I mentioned in previous posts we've been having issues with the head. The head is one of the worst things to have to repair. Much worse than a land side toilet, as the flushing mechanism is much more primitive. With very limited space on the boat it's installed in a tiny closet which also doubles as the shower. There is no room for more than one person and not a very big one at that! All the fittings, hoses and valves are crammed into an area about 1 square foot. Not to belabor the point, but it is quite literally a crappy job.

We've been waiting for the parts to be delivered. After waiting more than a week the Captain called the manufacturer to see where they were. Sitting on a shelf in Md, there'd been packaged but never shipped. They apologized for the slip up and sent them rush. They arrived on Thursday. Today was the day Scott tackled the task.

The unit is affixed to the boat via 4 large self tapping screws. Unlike what you might think there is no hole underneath where the waste exits. Instead the waste is pumped from the bowl through a mechanism. The mechanism includes the joker valve, a spring controlled flapper, a piston and cylinder, and nylon rings all which coordinate to pump the waste to the holding tank via a hose. After talking to the manufacturer the diagnosis was that this mechanism needed a rebuild. The actual bowl is itself bolted to this cast mechanism with a seal in between. The casting includes the piston and cylinder. If the cylinder should be scored there is no repairing the unit. Oy!

Armed with rubber gloves, tools and the rebuild kit Scott set about removing the bowl and flushing unit. The only place to do the work was on the salon table. Blech! We covered the table with a plastic tablecloth. After disassembling the unit he did find that the flapper valve was indeed shot and the nylon rings were significantly worn. The cylinder and the piston looked to be in okay shape. While Scott cleaned the casting and reassembled the unit, I cleaned the head locker aka the shower and sink.

Reassembly of the unit was a bear of a job as everything had to align perfectly. As with all things boar, there wasn't a spare millimeter to be had. After significant cussing and angst we got the bowl attached to the flush mechanism and all of it afield back to the boat. Unfortunately, after a full day of nasty work the problem remained, what a dissapointment! We can get by with it for a time while we formulate plan b. In the mean time no overnight guests on Light Reach.

The picture is of The Captain up to his elbows in ......
Comments
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
About:
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015