Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

31 May 2020 | Indiattown on the hard
21 May 2020 | Indiantown Florida
20 May 2020 | St Lucie River
14 May 2020 | Stuart Fl
24 April 2020 | Stuart FL
09 April 2020 | Stuart Fl
25 March 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart F:
23 March 2020 | Stuart Fl
19 March 2020 | Stuart Frida
15 March 2020 | Stuart Florida
11 March 2020 | Stuart Fl
09 March 2020 | Stuart Fl
01 March 2020 | Stuart FL
29 February 2020 | Stuart Fl
27 February 2020 | Stuart Fl
22 February 2020 | Orlando FL
20 February 2020 | Stuart
19 February 2020 | Stuart Fl
14 February 2020
28 January 2020 | Boynton Beach FL

Sheltering in a place that floats

09 April 2020 | Stuart Fl
Sally | Windy
Two weeks and a day since the last update. We are well, touch wood, and remain on board in the mooring field in Stuart. Very few boats have left and when one does its mooring is quickly covered to insure no new boats come into the marina.

Florida remains on lockdown during this crisis. We've pretty much turned the news off . Scott checks it on his phone to see if there are new edicts and updates me. The numbers continue to rise and we pray that they slow soon, so many people it breaks my heart. We are supposed to wear masks when we go out now.

Some of our better angels must have been watching over us, because I actually have my sewing machine, a travel iron and a bit of 100% cotton fabric on board. That is rather unusual because I normally sew at the condo. I found a pattern on Line and spent this past Sunday making us 4 masks. Material is getting hard to come by, but I did manage to purchase two more yards that I've yet to sew.

We had begun to run low on fresh produce, dairy, and bread. Jessica had a good experience with getting an order with drive up at Wal-Mart so we decided to give it a try. I was able to select the Stuart store and place an order on line. They didn't have everything we needed but almost. Not surprisingly paper goods, disinfectants and sanitizer we're not available. The biggest issue was scheduling a pick up time. The website only schedules one day out. This means you have to be an early bird get a slot. The site did save the items in our cart. I was awake in the wee hours of the morning to schedule a slot on Monday. They send you an e-mail when your order is ready. You're supposed to be able to use their app to tell them you're on the way but for some reason I couldn't get it to work. It isn't really crucial as when we pulled into the pick up area there is a phone number to call. That went very smoothly. We called and minutes later an associate came out trundling our groceries behind him. He loaded them into the trunk. We paid never touching the card reader and we're off, easy peasy. Scott had a mask and gloves on for the transaction.

On our way back to the marina we ordered drive thru take out from a local BBQ place to have for dinner. That turned out to be delicious and it was so nice not having to cook for a change.

We try to find something meaningful to do each day. I've put two coats of cetol on the coach roof teak. It needs another coat and I would like to put a couple more coats of clear over that.

Scott has been giving me tutorials on boat systems and dingy driving lessons. Things I should have learned years ago. I've never been able to start the 4 hp Yamaha, I just need some technique change and to put my bum into it!

Today we did laundry. It had been awhile. Only one person allowed in so we I started it washing and we sat in the car between wash, dry and fold.

We do dingy into shore each morning to take in trash, pick up water and use the facilities, all with our masks on. We don't see many folks out but keep our distance when we do. If we chat with folks they are in their dingy and us on the boat or vice verse keeping our social distance. There are remarkably few people to talk with. Most folks on the docks are hunkered down in their boats.

We plan to stay aboard until things return to some semblance of a new normal. Hoping that happens before the heat drive us out and before hurricane season. Praying that all our family and friends stay well and safe.

On a happier note we have just celebrated the 10th anniversary of purchasing Light Reach. And on Saturday April 11 we'll celebrate the 11 th anniversary of welcoming our Granddaughter Chloe.

The picture shows the teak with its new coat of varnish. If you look at the toe rail you can see what it looked like before. I'm not anxious to start the toe rails but that may be next if we are sheltering in place through May.

And a shout out to Paul thanks for your comments on our last post. It's nice to read a voice of reason.
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015