Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Hoping for rain

14 May 2020 | Stuart Fl
Sally | dry
We heard reports that the water level at Indiantown was quite low. As is the level in Lake Okechobee so there isn't any water coming into the canal. We decided to take a ride down to the marina to assess the situation. The water level is down quite a bit. This makes for a bit of pucker factor as we need a bit more than 5 feet. Scott spoke to Debbie in the marina office who assured him that there was 6 feet if you stay in the center when approaching the marina. Should be interesting, we are scheduled to haul in 7 days. Debbie assured Scott that she would notify us if the level dropped below navigable depths. Fingers crossed that it does not. Pray that we get 7 straight days of rain to bring up the levels!

Our intention is to leave here next Wednesday, make our way through the lock and then spend one night at the docks just past the lock. We had made a reservation and all seemed well until yesterday when we received notice that the docks were to remain closed. At least they refunded our money.

There is room to anchor for the night on the opposite side of the canal from the dock which we may do. Or we might see if Indiantown has a spot on a dock for that night with enough water to keep us afloat. Normally we'd just get up at first light and make the trip in one day. But nothing is "normal" in the days of pandemic. The lock is operating under a limited schedule and we aren't sure we could get to Indiantown and make our scheduled 11:00 AM haul time. It all makes for more stress in an already overstressed routine.

The marina has, as of Monday, relaxed some of the restrictions put in place. Contractors are now allowed on Wed and Thurs. A rule that is definitely not being followed. We've seen them every day in the past two weeks. They're supposed to check in the office and have a temp check done but few do.

The bathrooms for the coffee house have been reopened and a half dozen tables have been placed on the porch and patio. The avocado toast crowd is out in droves. None of them with face masks, nor do they practice social distancing guidelines. Because the shop offers free wifi it's a popular spot to squat for hours on end.

We try to get in early, get our errands done and scurry out to the boat with as little contact as possible.

We have made two trips to the condo to offload some stuff that we won't need between now and haul out. We were pleased to see that the guard gate is now manned 24/7. I'm not sure what the procedure is if you're having work done or visitors. We'll find out when we take up residence again. All the common areas with the exception of the laundries are closed. We did notice that many of the snowbirds are still there. Since most are from the tri-state area, and with the virus so prevalent there, and considering their age it isn't surprising that they have extended their stays.

We feel so fortunate to have replaced the A/C unit last fall. It will make it so much easier to keep our distance.

Today was the first time in over a month that either of us has been inside a store. We went to Harbor freight to get a tarp to cover the dingy while we're on the hard. Of course we picked up a few other things while we were there.

Other happening since the last update. The sails have been removed, always a bit of a sad task. We took them to Mack to have them inspected and folded. It's a bit of an expense but good for the sails to be properly stored and folded.

Still up, cleaning the dingy bottom. That is going to be a ridiculous chore. It hasn't been done since late Jan. We Procrastinated and now we will pay the price.

We've a car rented for Monday so we can drop ours at Indiantown before we head out. We felt it was a safer option than using Uber. I'd like to get another order from the butcher shop,but that may wait until after we get the fridge at the condo up and running. We'll have to make a few trips back up after we are hauled to get the boat settled for the summer. I've started washing down the interior with vinegar and water.

The weather has been pleasant and the boat is cozy and comfortable. We both hate to see this season end. Right now we have no idea if we will make it north this summer. We have no place to self quarantine for 14 days. Unless the guidelines change it isn't looking good. That makes me terribly sad, though I know it's for everyone's well being. Stay well and safe my friends.

The picture is of the mooring field taken towards the marina. Can you see all the empty moorings?
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015