Life Afloat on SV Light Reach Two Sailors and a Sea Dog

05 November 2021 | Enroute to Stuart
04 November 2021
03 November 2021 | Indiantown
24 October 2021 | Indiantown
09 September 2021 | Treasure Coast Florida
07 August 2021 | Finger Lakes region NYS
28 July 2021 | South Jersey Shore
14 May 2021 | St Lucie River
09 May 2021 | Stuart Fl
05 April 2021 | Stuart Florida
02 March 2021 | Stuart Fl
01 February 2021 | Stuart
30 January 2021 | Boca Raton
29 January 2021 | Stuart Fl
21 January 2021 | Boynton
19 January 2021 | Stuart
29 December 2020 | Stuart F:
25 December 2020 | Sampe as we have been Ho Ho Ho
17 December 2020 | Stuart
16 December 2020 | Sunset Bay Stuart

Tripping down the river

04 November 2021
Sally | Beautiful sunny day
We were nearly eaten alive last night, the mosquitos at Indiantown are relentless and plentiful. We were chased down below as soon as the sun went down. Thank goodness we have screens for the hatches, ports and companionway. As it was a couple of the suckers got in before we could get things shut totally.
I forgot to mention that we have a new dingy. Our old one was just simply beyond repair and we had to pump it up twice a day to keep it afloat. The captain had enough of that last season. We bequeathed the old one to a friend in Indiantown who as of yet has failed to be able to resurrect it. RIP little night light.
It was a bit of a hunt to find a replacement in these times of supply chain shortages. Yet another blight caused by the miserable virus… It took us awhile to find one in Florida. We needed to have one that could fit on our bow which limited the length we could accommodate. We had wanted a Highfield but the wait on one of those was 2 years???!?!? That’s a long time to swim to shore since we were now dingyless. The dealer in Stuart had none at all but kindly he put us in touch with a dealer in Tampa that had one dingy left of the size we needed, an AB which is the same make as our last dingy. We bought it sight unseen, over the phone and arranged for delivery to Indiantown on Oct 27. It was a big todo for all the boaters in the yard as they brought if up to where we were in the yard on the fork lift. We had lots of company that day as the guys all had to look her over. It doesn’t take much these days to excite us cruisers.
We were up relatively early today to have coffee and get things ready for the trip down the river. High tide is at 11:00 AM and we wanted to be through the skinny water spot with plenty of water to spare. After topping off the water tanks and securing the new dingy to the bow we cast off the lines and headed out of the marina basin at 09:20. I radioed the railroad bridge to insure it was safe to transit and with his go ahead we were on our way. The day was sunny and not super hot which made for a much more pleasant trip. We didn’t encounter much traffic but we did catch up with a tug that we needed to pass. Hard to believe his speed was less than ours. We didn’t have much success hailing them and they seemed to be dancing all over the channel. We did get one response saying they were way left looking for deeper water. That made us scratch our heads because we figured he couldn’t draw much more than we did and we had plenty. He finally moved to the right side of the channel and we successfully passed him.
We were hoping not to have to lock thru with him and they did hold back as we got to the lock. It was just us in the lock and all went smoothly. The captain didn’t even get squawked at by the lock master. That was a first.
We came into sight of the mooring field and after rounding the last green mark the Captain made a bee line for the nearest mooing we could find to the wi-fi routers. LOL We scored one in the first row. How that happened is a miracle. It took us a few tries to pick it up the current was fighting us but between the two of us we managed to get the line through the pennant. We put the boat in order and got the mooring lines set and it was time to splash the dingy for her first time ever. I felt like we should have champagne or something. This dingy is quite a bit lighter than the last and a foot shorter. She went into the water with no issues. We lowered the motor onto her transom and wonders be, the motor started. We are on a roll here. I should have bought a lotto ticket!
We’ll be here until after the holidays as we have some appointments we need to keep.
Vessel Name: Light Reach
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 37
Hailing Port: Annapolis Md
Crew: Scott and Sally and missing our CSO India the wonder Schnauzer she sails on in our hearts
Scott and Sally met in college, married and lived the average dirt dweller life for years always somewhere near the water. We fell in love with sailing in the early 90's. Summer of 2014 we both retired and became full time cruisers. [...]
Extra: "I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky; and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield
Light Reach's Photos - Main
August 2015 visit to Keuka Lake (New York Finger Lakes)
1 Photo
Created 2 September 2015