SV Mabel Rose

Sailing with the Coplan & Bell family on our Wauquiez Hood 38. We hope to complete a transatlantic passage during the Summer of 2006, returning to New York in the Spring of 2007. (All images Copyright Karl S. Coplan 2003 - 2006)

05 May 2007 | Nyack, New York
04 May 2007 | New York Bight
03 May 2007 | 150 mi SE of NY
02 May 2007 | 250 miles East of Chesapeake Bay
01 May 2007 | 250 Miles East of Hatteras
30 April 2007 | 200 miles NW of Bermuda
29 April 2007 | 100 mi NW of Bermuda
28 April 2007 | Bermuda, and north
27 April 2007 | St GEorges, Bermuda
26 April 2007 | Bermuda Barrier Reef
25 April 2007 | Bermuda
24 April 2007 | Bermuda
23 April 2007 | 200 miles SE Bermuda
22 April 2007 | 300 miles SE Bermuda
21 April 2007 | 300 miles SE Bermuda
20 April 2007 | 500 miles SE of Bermuda
19 April 2007 | 550 Miles SE of Bermuda
18 April 2007 | 600 miles SE of Bermuda
17 April 2007 | western mid-Atlantic
16 April 2007 | mid-ocean

Castle Fort and Coral Reef

26 April 2007 | Bermuda Barrier Reef
Karl
Bernie the Harbormaster stopped by in the morning, and offered us a ride to the yacht club to do our laundry. From there, Beryl and I went for a walk north of Town Cut to Fort St Catherine, and visited the fort and its exhibits. There is a wonderful catacomb of tunnels under the Fort where the powder magazine was.

I cannot get over how intense the colors are here in Bermuda; the clear sea reflected on the shallow sands and reefs is a brilliant blue, and the Bermudians complement this chromatic intensity by painting their houses bright colors in many hues.

In the afternoon, we went to Grotto Bay and Triangle Divers, where they gave us a crash course in scuba, buckled weights to our waists, piled us into a dive boat and took us for two dives. First, we visited a reef next to northeast light, and stepped into a scene from Jacques Cousteau, with brightly colored fish swimming about, brain corals on the sea floor, and seaweed fanning in the currents. After about thirty minutes underwater, Dane the Divemaster tapped our shoulders and brought us back to the diveboat, and we drove another half-hour to a sunken ship, where we dove again, snaking among schools of fish through rotted rusted passage ways overgrown with seaweeds. We did not see the huge grouper said to lurk in the pilothouse, however.

Beryl was thoroughly entranced by the sensation of swimming and breathing among the sea life. Even though Beryl had been asking hourly whether we can sail home yet . . . she now thinks that we had better wait until the cold front and strong winds pass on Sunday before setting out, so that we can go for another dive on Saturday, and maybe Sunday as well.

So the crew consensus seems to be we will sail on Monday, weather outlook permitting.

I am putting some pictures of Bermuda up in the gallery.


Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Hood 38
Hailing Port: Nyack, New York
Crew: Karl Coplan
About: Robin Bell Justin Coplan Beryl Bell
Extra: Setting sail in June '06, if the winds are willing.

SV Mabel Rose

Who: Karl Coplan
Port: Nyack, New York